Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
thistooshallpass

Default How do I eliminate "false" from showing in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Show us your formula, and tell us what you want in its stead.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"thistooshallpass" wrote in
message ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

How is FALSE getting there?

Assuming it's due to an IF() statement, put what you want to appear in
the third argument:

=IF(A1<B1,"It's true","It's not true")

If you want the cell to *appear* blank:

=IF(A1<B1,"It's true","")

In article ,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
thistooshallpass

Thanks for the response, however, this is the case.

I am using the vlookup formula, =vlookup(B9,Q12:R41,2,"") which produces
"#N/A" when the lookup value cell is blank. So I decided to use an if
formula, =if(B9<0,"0,if(B90,vlookup(B9,Q12:r41,2,0))) thinking that I could
get rid of the #N/A, which I did but inherited 'false' in the cell.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

How is FALSE getting there?

Assuming it's due to an IF() statement, put what you want to appear in
the third argument:

=IF(A1<B1,"It's true","It's not true")

If you want the cell to *appear* blank:

=IF(A1<B1,"It's true","")

In article ,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

A better way of avoiding the #NA error is to use ISNA, as follows:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B9,Q12:R41,2,0),"",VLOOKUP(B9,Q12 :R41,2,0))

This will return a blank (i.e. "" in the middle of the formula) instead
of #NA - you might like this to be zero (i.e. 0 without quotes in the
middle of the formula).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Two ways,

=IF(B9="","",vlookup(B9,Q12:R41,2,False))

or more stable as it will also handle any invalid value

=IF(ISNA(vlookup(B9,Q12:R41,2,False) ,"",vlookup(B9,Q12:R41,2,False) )

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Show us your formula, and tell us what you want in its stead.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"thistooshallpass" wrote in
message ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
thistooshallpass

Thanks for the response, however, i get an error message when i attempt to
input this formula. The "" are hightlighted from the error message
indicating that the error is within the portion of the formula. I have also
attempted to replace the "" with simply an 0 and other inputs but I still
receive the error message. Am I missing something with the input?

"Pete_UK" wrote:

A better way of avoiding the #NA error is to use ISNA, as follows:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B9,Q12:R41,2,0),"",VLOOKUP(B9,Q12 :R41,2,0))

This will return a blank (i.e. "" in the middle of the formula) instead
of #NA - you might like this to be zero (i.e. 0 without quotes in the
middle of the formula).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
thistooshallpass

Thanks. The first way worked, however, I still am not able to get pass the
error message which highlights the "" portion of the formula.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Show us your formula, and tell us what you want in its stead.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"thistooshallpass" wrote in
message ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

One way:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B9,Q12:Q41,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(B9,Q1 2:R41,2,FALSE))

In article ,
thistooshallpass wrote:

Thanks for the response, however, this is the case.

I am using the vlookup formula, =vlookup(B9,Q12:R41,2,"") which produces
"#N/A" when the lookup value cell is blank. So I decided to use an if
formula, =if(B9<0,"0,if(B90,vlookup(B9,Q12:r41,2,0))) thinking that I could
get rid of the #N/A, which I did but inherited 'false' in the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Just check what you have typed in more thoroughly - have you missed out
any brackets (there are 2 at the end of the formula), have you included
all of the commas, have you included the colons etc?

If you can't spot anything wrong, then copy/paste your formula directly
to your reply (put an apostrophe in front of the = sign in Excel.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Sorry, there is a missing bracket from my formula - it should be:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B9,Q12:R41,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(B9,Q1 2:R41,2,0))

This should correct it now (thanks to Bob's earlier response!)

Pete