Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joni Hook

Default Removing spaces from columns

Please tell me in "detailed list form" how I can use the TRIM or substitute
function to remove spaces from a column. The column has over 6000 filled
cells but only some of the cells contain spaces so I won't need to remove
them from all cells. Most of the spaces are "leading" and this is a document
that was converted from Lotus. I am a beginner in Excel so I need very
descriptive step by step instructions please.
Thanks,
JH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Best way since you have 6000 rows

plenty of info on how to install and run macros as well

otherwise use a help column

=TRIM(A1)

copy dopwn 6000 rows, copy and paste special as values in place,
remove original data if necessary

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Joni Hook" wrote:

Please tell me in "detailed list form" how I can use the TRIM or substitute
function to remove spaces from a column. The column has over 6000 filled
cells but only some of the cells contain spaces so I won't need to remove
them from all cells. Most of the spaces are "leading" and this is a document
that was converted from Lotus. I am a beginner in Excel so I need very
descriptive step by step instructions please.
Thanks,
JH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joni Hook

Thank you. But, as I said - I'm very much a beginner and that link is
completely
"Greek" to me. Also I do not understand your answer about the formula.
I tried entering that formula into a cell, then copy, then paste special and
clicked "Value" and all of my cells changed to: #VALUE!
I'm sorry. I really do need step by step instructions.
Thanks,
JH