Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lakeside Steph

Default mix font styles in concatenated text

Can any one tell me how, in Excel 2003, to have certain words written in bold
typeface in a concatenated string. For example :

=CONCATENATE("I, the undersigned, ";A3;"do hereby confirm etc etc") which
gives
I, the undersigned, Joe Brown, do hereby confirm etc etc

But I want Joe Brown to be written in bold type face.

I've tried the most obvious which is selecting A3 within the formula and
clicking on the bold typeface icon (as you would in regular text not within a
formula), but it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

Steph,

I'd create the document template in Word, and import things like first, last
names into the document with mail merge. You can format at will there. Excel
will not allow mixing formats in the same cell when its a result of a "=".

Beege

"Lakeside Steph" <Lakeside wrote in message
Can any one tell me how, in Excel 2003, to have certain words written in
bold
typeface in a concatenated string. For example :

=CONCATENATE("I, the undersigned, ";A3;"do hereby confirm etc etc") which
gives
I, the undersigned, Joe Brown, do hereby confirm etc etc

But I want Joe Brown to be written in bold type face.

I've tried the most obvious which is selecting A3 within the formula and
clicking on the bold typeface icon (as you would in regular text not
within a
formula), but it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lakeside Steph

Hi Beege,
Thanks for the answer - it's what I suspected - unfortunately the rest of
the document has loads of concatenated strings referring to lots of data on a
spreadsheet - but, hey, I could give it a go and try and improve my Word
skills (which sure do need improving !)