Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PeterB

Default Excel 2002

I am a financial analyst and I use Excel a lot.

Yesterday I lost the "drag" capability. By this I mean, if you are adding
two columns or more of data, you calculate the formula for one column and
then drag that formula to accompanying colums.

Starting yesterday, when I drag the formula from column a to column b, the
formula reads correctly with the column b addresses but it gives the answer
from column a that it was dragged from.
Same result for Copy.

You can audit the formula - it reads correctly data from column b, but still
gives the answer applicable to the cell it was dragged from.

This makes everything unreliable and uncheckable. Yikes!

I went to reinstall - repair - doesn't affect.

What happened?

Ditto for
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier

You probably have calculation turned to manual, to fix:
<Tools<Options
"Calculation" tab
Check "Automatic"

Does that help?
Dave

"PeterB" wrote:

I am a financial analyst and I use Excel a lot.

Yesterday I lost the "drag" capability. By this I mean, if you are adding
two columns or more of data, you calculate the formula for one column and
then drag that formula to accompanying colums.

Starting yesterday, when I drag the formula from column a to column b, the
formula reads correctly with the column b addresses but it gives the answer
from column a that it was dragged from.
Same result for Copy.

You can audit the formula - it reads correctly data from column b, but still
gives the answer applicable to the cell it was dragged from.

This makes everything unreliable and uncheckable. Yikes!

I went to reinstall - repair - doesn't affect.

What happened?

Ditto for

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PeterB

Thanks much - I had come to the same conclusion after I sent the message -
that was the issue - now how it happened is another question but at least I
am back in business

PeterB

"PeterB" wrote:

I am a financial analyst and I use Excel a lot.

Yesterday I lost the "drag" capability. By this I mean, if you are adding
two columns or more of data, you calculate the formula for one column and
then drag that formula to accompanying colums.

Starting yesterday, when I drag the formula from column a to column b, the
formula reads correctly with the column b addresses but it gives the answer
from column a that it was dragged from.
Same result for Copy.

You can audit the formula - it reads correctly data from column b, but still
gives the answer applicable to the cell it was dragged from.

This makes everything unreliable and uncheckable. Yikes!

I went to reinstall - repair - doesn't affect.

What happened?

Ditto for

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Peter

"how it happened"

ToolsOptionsCalculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP