Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chesjak

Default Sorting columns

Hi
using Excel xp

I have a worksheet with names in one column and address in another column etc.

I want to be able to sort the worksheet so that I can have the names in
descending order but also have the other columns re-aranged as well ie each
line is a name and address etc. when I sort the NAME column in ascending
order, I want tle whole line to be sorted.

At the moment, if I sort the NAME column only that column is sorted and
therefore each name and address line does not stay together.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help wiould be apreciated.

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi
Select a single cell within the range - NOT the whole of the NAMES column.
Excel will sort the whole lot as long as you don't select a single column.

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"chesjak" wrote in message
Hi
using Excel xp

I have a worksheet with names in one column and address in another column
etc.

I want to be able to sort the worksheet so that I can have the names in
descending order but also have the other columns re-aranged as well ie
each
line is a name and address etc. when I sort the NAME column in ascending
order, I want tle whole line to be sorted.

At the moment, if I sort the NAME column only that column is sorted and
therefore each name and address line does not stay together.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help wiould be apreciated.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

More precisly - Excel sorts only the selected range, unless a single cell is
selected.
When a single cell is selected, Excel sorts the whole contignous range with
selected cell in it. I.e. when there are empty rows/columns somewhere, then
part of data behind them remains unsorted.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"chesjak" wrote in message
Hi
using Excel xp

I have a worksheet with names in one column and address in another column
etc.

I want to be able to sort the worksheet so that I can have the names in
descending order but also have the other columns re-aranged as well ie
each
line is a name and address etc. when I sort the NAME column in ascending
order, I want tle whole line to be sorted.

At the moment, if I sort the NAME column only that column is sorted and
therefore each name and address line does not stay together.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help wiould be apreciated.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chesjak

Hi You two Guys

Thanks for your quick response. Dare I push my luck a bit more now you have
sorted that for me.

I now want to print, say, columns a,b,c and colums jand k but not the rest.

How do I go about setting up the print area for this. As far as I can see,
I can only setup print area for adjoining columns.

Thanks again

"chesjak" wrote in message
Hi
using Excel xp

I have a worksheet with names in one column and address in another column
etc.

I want to be able to sort the worksheet so that I can have the names in
descending order but also have the other columns re-aranged as well ie
each
line is a name and address etc. when I sort the NAME column in ascending
order, I want tle whole line to be sorted.

At the moment, if I sort the NAME column only that column is sorted and
therefore each name and address line does not stay together.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help wiould be apreciated.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

You could set up a custom view to hide the columns you don't want. This is
from View/Custom View. Set the spreadsheet up first and then go for it!

Andy.