Sandy

Default Drop Down List

ello
Book1 a1 has a drop down list. Book2 c3 = Book1a1. I would like to create a
drop down for C3 that includes the same drop down from book1 but not limit
the entry to the existing list. ie., a list that is more extensive
How can I do this?
Thanks
Max

Not sure .. but maybe an illustration would help a bit?

Try this experiment:

In Sheet3:

Put in A1: Text1

Copy A1 down to A10

This rapidly creates a list of 10 items: Text1, Text2 ... Text10
for use as data validation (DV) source

Select and name the range A1:A5 as : List1

To name, just select the range,
then click inside the namebox* and type: List1

*the one with the droparrow just to the left of the equal sign "="

Likewise, select and name the range A1:A10 as : List2

In Sheet1:

Select A1
Click Data Validation
Under Allow, select List
Put in the Source box: =List1
Click OK

A1 will now house a DV with Text1, Text2 ... Text5

In Sheet2:

Select C3
Click Data Validation
Under Allow, select List
Put in the Source box: =List2
Click OK

C3 will now house a DV with Text1, Text2 ... Text10
i.e. a more "extensive" list of items compared with Sheet1's A1

--
Rgds
Max
Sandy wrote in message
ello
Book1 a1 has a drop down list. Book2 c3 = Book1a1. I would like to create

drop down for C3 that includes the same drop down from book1 but not limit
the entry to the existing list. ie., a list that is more extensive
How can I do this?
Thanks

Sandy

Thanks Max
That helps some. However the lists are maintained separately in separate
workbooks. For now I have linked the first part of the long list to the
short list and am using the lists separately for each sheet. Not sure if
the most efficient way but I think it will work

Thanks again!