Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

Default Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

Hello to you guys. I want to know if u guys can help me solve it.. this
isnt going to be easy guys.. but if u guys know a formula.. please help
me

A B C D
Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
FMS Head Lamp Supra $15
FMS Head Lamp Tornado $25
FMS Exhaust Pipe Supra $80
FMS Exhaust Pipe Tornado $120
KGW Head Lamp Supra $40
KGW Head Lamp Tornado $50
KGW Exhaust Pipe Supra $150
KGW Exhaust Pipe Tornado $180

Here are some of my examples from my Price list. Im trying to use a
simple invoice with vlookup to bill my customer... lets say my customer
order

Quantity Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
10 KGW Head Lamp Supra ?

The price if we look at it manually its $40 But how to use a formula
which it auto calculate the price for me? its not easy... i think we
need to use vlookup and if formula? Please help me!!

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34713

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Hi,
Maybe you can use sumproduct()

If your above data starts with Brand in A1 then some thing like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A9=A11),--(B2:B9=B11),--(C2:C9=C11),D2:D9)*D11

Where the brand is in A11, the Product Name in B11 and the MC Name in
C11 and quantity in D11

Reagards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

See if this gets you pointed in the right direction:

With your data in cells A1:D9, including column titles.

F1: 10
G1: KGW
H1: Head Lamp
I1: Supra
J1: =INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9&$B$1:$B$ 9&$C$1:$C$9,0))

The ARRAY FORMULA* formula in J1 concatenates the lookup parameters and
searches for them in the concatenated lookup table columns.

An alternative, approach would be to insert a column in front of the
table (in Col_A, moving the table to the right) and concatenate the
fields there.

Example:
A1: B1&C1&D1

Then the formulas could be this:
F1: 10
G1: KGW
H1: Head Lamp
I1: Supra
J1: =VLOOKUP(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0))

Note: If there is no match, the Col_J formulas would return an error.
To avoid that, the new formulas would be:

J1 (ARRAY FORMULA*):
=IF(ISNA(INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9& $B$1:$B$9&$C$1:$C$9,0))),"",INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH( G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9&$B$1:$B$9&$C$1:$C$9,0)))

or
If using thelookup values in Col_A:
J1:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(H1&I1&J1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0)),"",VLOOK UP(H1&I1&J1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0))

*Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
[Enter], instead of just pressing [Enter].

Does that give you something to work with?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Assuming source table as posted is in sheet: X
within A1:D100 (say), data from row2 down
Col A = brand, B = Prouct Name, C = Motorcycle Name, D = Unit Price

In your invoice sheet,
this table below is in cols A to D,
with "Price" to be computed in col E (= Qty x Unit Price from X)

Quantity Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
10 KGW Head Lamp Supra ?

(data from row2 down)

Put in the formula bar for E2, then array-enter the formula
by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of just pressing ENTER):
=INDEX(X!$D$2:$D$10,MATCH(1,(X!$A$2:$A$10=B2)*(X!$ B$2:$B$10=C2)*(X!$C$2:$C$10=D2),0))*A2

Adapt the ranges to suit ..
--
Max
Singapore
"Hero_honda" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Typo, line:
within A1:D100 (say),

should read as:
within A1:D10 (say),

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Hero_honda

Variations of the SUMPRODUCT approach....

If you use Col_A for the lookup values (eg b2&c2&d2):
J1: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=G1&H1&I1)*$E$2:$E$9)

or...if you use your table as posted:
J1:
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=G1)*($B$2:$B$9=H1)*($C$2:$C $9=I1)*$E$2:$E$9)

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mr_teacher

Ok, sure there is an easier way than this - but this is what I would
try.

Firstly I would insert a new row at the start, so column A becomes
blank. Then in cell A2 I would put the formula

=CONCATENATE(B2,C2,D2)

I am guessing that you want to be able to select a variety of brands,
products etc.

In Cell F1 I would put the header Brand
In Cell G1 I would put the header Product Name
In Cell H1 I would put the header MotorCycle Name
In Cell I1 I would put the header Quantity

This will allow you to type your choice into each area in row 2

I would consider creating some drop down lists for your entries though
to avoid any typing errors which would mess the whole thing up.

Then in cell J2 you could put the formula

=VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(F2,G2,H2),A:E,5,FALSE)*I2

As I say i am sure this is not the easiest way to do this - and
hopefully someone here will show an easier way that I could use myself
too - but as I am often told on here it is best to keep on learning!!
:)

Hope his is some help - or at least gives you some ideas!!

Regards

Carl

Hero_honda Wrote:
[...]

mr_teacher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34352
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

Thanks for many replies guys... i appreciate your help...

I find mr teacher's way is the best solution for me.. easy and quick
formula.. many thanks for the quick replies..

this problem been with me for so long till out of somewhere i found
this forum and i thought why not ask experts to solve my problems..
indeed it worked.. many thanks to you guys.. did a good job for me..
thank you

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34713
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mr_teacher

Glad that you got it all sorted out ok!! :)

Max - out of interest could you tell me why there is a 1 after the
MATCH statement? I understand how the rest of it works - and will be
able to put that to good use in my own spreadsheets - just can't follow
that bit!

Cheers

Carl

Put in the formula bar for E2, then array-enter the formula
by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of just pressing ENTER):
=INDEX(X!$D$2:$D$10,MATCH(1,(X!$A$2:$A$10=B2)*(X!$ B$2:$B$10=C2)*(X!$C$2:$C$10=D2),0))*A2

--
mr_teacher
mr_teacher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34352
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"mr_teacher" wrote:
Max - out of interest could you tell me why there is a 1 after the
MATCH statement?

The <array within MATCH:
(X!$A$2:$A$10=B2)*(X!$B$2:$B$10=C2)*(X!$C$2:$C$Â*1 0=D2)
would return an array of zeros "0" with a single* "1"
eg: {0;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}
*uniques implicitly assumed

where the single "1" within the array
would be the row within cols A, B and C in X
satisfying all 3 conditions of being equal to A2, B2 and C2

MATCH(1,<array,0) then returns the position
within the array that matches the "1" (i.e.: 2)
to retrieve the corresp value from INDEX(X!$D$2:$D$10,..

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Typos in line:
satisfying all 3 conditions of being equal to A2, B2 and C2

should read as:
satisfying all 3 conditions of being equal to B2, C2 and D2

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

I have:
1. the brands (for example: FMS, KGW, KGT)
2. Motorcycle names (for example: CB100, GL100, A100, Supra... etc)
3. Motorcycle parts (For example: Head lamp, exhausht pipe, regulator,
etc etc)

with so many motorcycle names and so many parts how do i limit the drop
down list when i select the parts name? instead of using drop down list
for all my motorcycle names....

for exmple:
Motor names Parts brand
CB100 Head Lamp FMS
GL100 Head Lamp FMS
Supra Head Lamp FMS
Prima Head Lamp FMS
Cb100 Exhaust Pipe FMS
C70 exhaust pipe FMS
Tornado exhaust pipe FMS

looking at above, i want to use drop down list.. if i select exhaust
pipe from the drop down menu, i want excel to auto show me there are
cb100, c70 and tornado on exhaust pipe.. instead of showing me all the
motorcycle names..

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34713
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

Take a look at Data Validation at Debra Dalgleish's site, especially
dependent dropdowns

Regards

Roger Govier

"Hero_honda"
wrote in message

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

Im going to use drop down list on my invoice.. do u think it will work
roger?

coz in my invoice, it going to have

Quantity Motorcycle-name Motorcycle-parts Brand Price

im going to use Drop down list on Motorcycle name, motorcycle parts and
brand...

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34713
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi
Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work. This technique is often used
for producing invoices.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Hero_honda"
wrote in message

Im going to use drop down list on my invoice.. do u think it will
work
roger?

coz in my invoice, it going to have

Quantity Motorcycle-name Motorcycle-parts Brand Price

im going to use Drop down list on Motorcycle name, motorcycle parts
and
brand...

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

A100 AS OVERAN FMS 11,500
V80 AS OVERAN FMS 11,500
WIN AS OVERAN FMS 11,500
YB100 AS OVERAN FMS 11,500

A100 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS 65,000
CB100K3 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS 65,000
FORCE-1 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS 50,000
GL-PRO AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS 67,500

SMASH AS OVERAN KGW 50,000
V80 AS OVERAN KGW 60,000
WIN AS OVERAN KGW 75,000
YB100 AS OVERAN KGW 95,000

A100 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW 165,000
CB100K3 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW 165,000
FORCE-1 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW 150,000
GL-PRO AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW 167,500

OK here an example... On the invoice, brand is bery important.. diff
brand .. difference price. 3 different type of drop down list... can
u help? of coz the price is easy.. just have to use vlookup =)

--
Hero_honda
Hero_honda's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34713
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

Just set up your 3 lists for
1. the brands (for example: FMS, KGW, KGT)
2. Motorcycle names (for example: CB100, GL100, A100, Supra... etc)
3. Motorcycle parts (For example: Head lamp, exhaust pipe, regulator,
etc)

as per the examples on the site I pointed you to.
Apply Data Validation to column 1 to use the Motorcycle Name, to column
2 to use the Brand list and column 3 the Parts list.
Make your selection from each list, and use the lookup formula to find
the price. If the price is zero, then that particular item doesn't exist
in your ;list, so try selecting a different brand.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Hero_honda"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hero_honda

hey roger,

can i have:

Column 1 = brand
Column 2 = motorcycle name
Column 3 = Motorcycle parts

or

Column 1 = motorcycle name
column 2 = motorcycle parts
column 3 = brand

i find brand on the middle is hard for my invoice...

i been to the site u gave me.. and i did try to test it... im almost
getting 100% correct.. but not yet... i got some problems .. for
example...

column 1 = brand
column 2 = parts of the motorcycle
column 3 = name of the motorcycle

however, i think excel needs column 3 to be A to Z order ... but i
cannot do it becoz otherwise it will messed up my price list system.

Brand Parts name
FMS AXLE KICK A100
FMS HEAD LAMP CB100
FMS LEVER KLOS GL100
FMS PISTON PRIMA
KGW CARBON BRUSH A100
KGW CARBON BRUSH GL100
KGW EXHAUST SUPRA
KGW HEAD LAMP GL100
KGW LEVER KLOS CB100
KGW LEVER REM GL100

WHEN I select KGW, lever rem.... the dropdown list gives me GL100 and
prima. it should be CB100.

if you find the solution to this.. please try to help me .. If possible
.. i want :

Column 1 = motorcycle name
column 2 = motorcycle parts
column 3 = brand