Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wal50

Default Copy down

I have inherited a spreadsheet that does not have a Branch number in each
row. The data were entered so that the number is only in the first record
for each branch.) Looks like:
Branch # Employee Name
1243 Jones
Smith
Adams
1562 Johnson
Reilly

I think there is some way of getting the branch number to be on each row.
There are thousands of rpws and hundreds of branches. As I recall (dimly),
F5 is involved but numerous attempts have resulted in no solution.
As always your help is appreciated.

WAL50.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Wal,

assuming that the Branch are on the column A and EE's on the B, you could
create a formula on the C Collumn as:

If(A3<"",A3,C2),

copy it down and paste special values on the A column.

hope its help

Marcelo from Brazil

"wal50" escreveu:

I have inherited a spreadsheet that does not have a Branch number in each
row. The data were entered so that the number is only in the first record
for each branch.) Looks like:
Branch # Employee Name
1243 Jones
Smith
Adams
1562 Johnson
Reilly

I think there is some way of getting the branch number to be on each row.
There are thousands of rpws and hundreds of branches. As I recall (dimly),
F5 is involved but numerous attempts have resulted in no solution.
As always your help is appreciated.

WAL50.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wal50

Thanks Marcelo that does it. I got so caught up in remembering the F5 thing
I didn't try other avenues. The other way was pretty neat though

"wal50" escreveu:

I have inherited a spreadsheet that does not have a Branch number in each
row. The data were entered so that the number is only in the first record
for each branch.) Looks like:
Branch # Employee Name
1243 Jones
Smith
Adams
1562 Johnson
Reilly

I think there is some way of getting the branch number to be on each row.
There are thousands of rpws and hundreds of branches. As I recall (dimly),
F5 is involved but numerous attempts have resulted in no solution.
As always your help is appreciated.

WAL50.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

You are close.
In cell A3 (directly below 1243) enter the formula, =A2
In cell A3, press Ctrl-C (or your favorite way to copy)
Using the mouse, select A2:A10 (or the bottom of the range)
NOW press F5 and click Special, then blanks, OK
Either hit Enter to copy the formula to all of those blanks OR select
Edit Paste Special Values to skip directly to the values.

That should get you started.
- John