Maclanders

Default How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

My initial spreadsheet contains a table of information, I am trying to create
a new spreadsheet with a cleaner version of the information. I am trying to
use the INDEX and MATCH functions; however, to return my values I must
consider three constants: customer, product, and date. So far I have only
been able to find a way to use two constants. All three must be considered
because many customers purchase a variety of products. The date is
horizontal while customer and product are both vertical.
Biff

Hi!

This is relatively easy to do but it would help if you
could post a sample of your data and explain what data
you're trying to extract.

Biff

My initial spreadsheet contains a table of information, I

am trying to create
a new spreadsheet with a cleaner version of the

information. I am trying to
use the INDEX and MATCH functions; however, to return my

values I must
consider three constants: customer, product, and date.

So far I have only
been able to find a way to use two constants. All three

must be considered
because many customers purchase a variety of products.

The date is
horizontal while customer and product are both vertical.
.

Mac Landers

Customer Product Jan-04 Feb-04 Mar-04 Apr-04
U Trial BC EV
U Trial ABC Trial
U Trial DEG 1130 2 3
U Trial ABC 1180 1
MII Trial RLJ 2
MII Trial KLW
MII Trial DE
MII Trial DEG 1130 3 1
MII Trial ABC EV-Trial 9 4
MII Trial ABC Card 1 2

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

This is relatively easy to do but it would help if you
could post a sample of your data and explain what data
you're trying to extract.

Biff

My initial spreadsheet contains a table of information, I

am trying to create
a new spreadsheet with a cleaner version of the

information. I am trying to
use the INDEX and MATCH functions; however, to return my

values I must
consider three constants: customer, product, and date.

So far I have only
been able to find a way to use two constants. All three

must be considered
because many customers purchase a variety of products.

The date is
horizontal while customer and product are both vertical.
.

Mac Landers

I want to extract the numbers that match the customer, product and month.
I have two spreadsheets that will be linked. I want only data for certain
months, but the base spreadsheet will change every month. For example: I
want to see the next 3 months data only, thus I want to be able to create a
smaller spreadsheet that selects only the 3 months of relevance. I want this
function to be as automated as possible so every month in can quickly and
easily find the months information I request. It is a 12 month outlook and I
don't want to see all of it, just what is relevant.

Thanks for your help and I hope this makes some sense. I am starting to
confuse myself.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

This is relatively easy to do but it would help if you
could post a sample of your data and explain what data
you're trying to extract.

Biff

My initial spreadsheet contains a table of information, I

am trying to create
a new spreadsheet with a cleaner version of the

information. I am trying to
use the INDEX and MATCH functions; however, to return my

values I must
consider three constants: customer, product, and date.

So far I have only
been able to find a way to use two constants. All three

must be considered
because many customers purchase a variety of products.

The date is
horizontal while customer and product are both vertical.
.

Biff

Hi!

Extracting a single months data is no problem but
extracting more than that in a single operation as a
single data block will take some work.

Extracting a single months data is not difficult to do but
might be a little complicated trying to explain. I put
together a sample file based on your data that I could
send you. If interested post back with an email address so
that I can contact you.

Biff

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Ashley

Biff,

I have the same problem with needing to return a value based on 3 constants
(4 really if it's possible, but I'm sure I could get away with 3). Can you
please let me know how you helped Mac?

Thanks-Ashley

"Biff" wrote:

Ok, sent the file.