Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Deeds

Default List all filenames & tab names

What I would like to do is, within Excel, create a list down one column of
all the file names within a certain folder. Listed with the filename,
somehow, I would like to have a list of all the tab names within each of the
listed file names.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Sounds like a question for the excel.programming newsgroup.
It is SHEETS that have names; theses names are on the TABS.
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Deeds" wrote in message
What I would like to do is, within Excel, create a list down one column of
all the file names within a certain folder. Listed with the filename,
somehow, I would like to have a list of all the tab names within each of
the
listed file names.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

I think you would have to use DIR to get the names of
Sub FindExcelFiles() 'It does work.
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim FN As String ' For File Name
Dim ThisRow As Long
Dim FileLocation As String
FileLocation = "c:\ahorse\*.xls"
FN = Dir(FileLocation)
Do Until FN = ""
ThisRow = ThisRow + 1
Cells(ThisRow, 1) = FN
FN = Dir
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

within the for/loop, LIst the fileopen the file and incorporate something
like this to get the sheets

For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
Cells(i, 1).Value = Sheets(i).Name
Next i

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Deeds" wrote in message
What I would like to do is, within Excel, create a list down one column of
all the file names within a certain folder. Listed with the filename,
somehow, I would like to have a list of all the tab names within each of
the
listed file names.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Deeds

Thanks... can you let m e know how to get the sheet names that are in each
file? I don't follow the end of your suggestion about the fileopen.

Ultimately this is what I want.....
I open an excel file....put my cursor on cell A1...start the macro...it
populates column A with all of the files in designated folder...under each
filename...indented slightly is a list of all the sheet names within that
file....and so on through all the files in that folder.

Hope this helps....thanks for your efforts I appreciate it!

"Deeds" wrote in message
What I would like to do is, within Excel, create a list down one column of
all the file names within a certain folder. Listed with the filename,
somehow, I would like to have a list of all the tab names within each of
the
listed file names.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Why not have the sheet names going across, in line with the file name
they refer to?

Pete