Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
beauknowssoccer

Default lookup data in array

I would like to find the intersection of two variable data points in an
array. So in the chart below I would like to have a seperate cell (call it
H1) dictate what year in column A to look for and then another cell (call it
H2) dictate what word to look for in Row 1 and then find the interestion
between them (if the year is 1935 and the word was house then answer is 5)
A B C D
1 Year car house kids
2 1933 8 5 5
3 1934 4 7 4
4 1935 6 5 6
5 1936 8 4 8
6 1937 10 2 3
7 1938 12 3 4

Thank you for any help that you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

With your data in A1:D7

H1: (a year)
H2: (a word from the 1st row)
H3: =INDEX(A1:D7,MATCH(H1,A1:A7,0),MATCH(H2,A1:D1,0))

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"beauknowssoccer" wrote:

I would like to find the intersection of two variable data points in an
array. So in the chart below I would like to have a seperate cell (call it
H1) dictate what year in column A to look for and then another cell (call it
H2) dictate what word to look for in Row 1 and then find the interestion
between them (if the year is 1935 and the word was house then answer is 5)
A B C D
1 Year car house kids
2 1933 8 5 5
3 1934 4 7 4
4 1935 6 5 6
5 1936 8 4 8
6 1937 10 2 3
7 1938 12 3 4

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=INDEX(A1:D7,MATCH(H1,A1:A7,0),MATCH(H2,A1:D1,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"beauknowssoccer" wrote in