Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Default lookup data in array

=INDEX(A1:D7,MATCH(H1,A1:A7,0),MATCH(H2,A1:D1,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"beauknowssoccer" wrote in
message ...
I would like to find the intersection of two variable data points in an
array. So in the chart below I would like to have a seperate cell (call

it
H1) dictate what year in column A to look for and then another cell (call

it
H2) dictate what word to look for in Row 1 and then find the interestion
between them (if the year is 1935 and the word was house then answer is 5)
A B C D
1 Year car house kids
2 1933 8 5 5
3 1934 4 7 4
4 1935 6 5 6
5 1936 8 4 8
6 1937 10 2 3
7 1938 12 3 4

Thank you for any help that you can give me.