Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fastballfreddy

Default VLOOKUP problem

In AT I have the sum of money for the current month - AT2:AT32
In AU I have the days left in the month (sun & mon are not included,
they are the weekend).

In cell AW2 I have the formula: =VLOOKUP(0,AT2:AU33,2,FALSE)

Basically if there is money in AT2, it will go to the next cell until
it finds 0, to read from AU for the # of days left. My problem is
there are a few occasions there could be no money for a day.

I don't know if that made any sense, so I included an attachment.

AT3 has no money for the day, while AT4 does.

The formula doesn't recognize this, and AW2 shows 22, when it should
show 20. Does anybody have any ideas for this?

|Filename: web.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4764 |

fastballfreddy
fastballfreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33986
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542239

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Try...

=INDEX(AU2:AU33,MATCH(1,IF(ISNUMBER(AT2:AT33),IF(A T2:AT330,1)),0)+1)

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article
<fastballfreddy.27v570_1147720505.1553@excelforu m-nospam.com,
fastballfreddy
<fastballfreddy.27v570_1147720505.1553@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote:

In AT I have the sum of money for the current month - AT2:AT32
In AU I have the days left in the month (sun & mon are not included,
they are the weekend).

In cell AW2 I have the formula: =VLOOKUP(0,AT2:AU33,2,FALSE)

Basically if there is money in AT2, it will go to the next cell until
it finds 0, to read from AU for the # of days left. My problem is
there are a few occasions there could be no money for a day.

I don't know if that made any sense, so I included an attachment.

AT3 has no money for the day, while AT4 does.

The formula doesn't recognize this, and AW2 shows 22, when it should
show 20. Does anybody have any ideas for this?

|Filename: web.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4764 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fastballfreddy

thanks domenic,

that does work for the excel example; however, if you put lets say $100
into AN3, making the total in cell AT3 $100. Your formula will
recognize AT3 and return the result 21.

The more I thought about it, what I need is a formula that will start
the search at AT33 and move up (AT32, AT31 and so on) until it finds a
# 0. Lets say it finds a value of 200 in AT18, it would then go to
AU18-1, to return 10.

any ideas?

--
fastballfreddy
fastballfreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33986
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542239

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

In that case, try the following formula instead...

=INDEX(AU2:AU33,MATCH(2,1/IF(ISNUMBER(AT2:AT33),IF(AT2:AT330,1))))-1

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article
,