Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Leif

Default select all worksheets in formula (wildcard)

My goal is to calculate a sum from the same column on ALL worksheets. I
already know I can select multi sheets in an existing formula:

=Average(start:end!AA32)

I am always adding worksheets to specific books and I would like to not have
to update the formulas. I want a wildcard or 'select all' in the formula.

I know I could insert the new worksheet between the existing start and end
sheets, but the new sheet would always need to be at the end.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

What about actually inserting two sheets named "Start" and "End". Place
"Start" first and "End" last. Leave them completely blank, and then hide
them. This way, your formula will always be accurate, even when you add new
sheets to what appears to be the end.

HTH,
Elkar

"Leif" wrote:

My goal is to calculate a sum from the same column on ALL worksheets. I
already know I can select multi sheets in an existing formula:

=Average(start:end!AA32)

I am always adding worksheets to specific books and I would like to not have
to update the formulas. I want a wildcard or 'select all' in the formula.

I know I could insert the new worksheet between the existing start and end
sheets, but the new sheet would always need to be at the end.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Leif

Yes, that would work.

However, I will be getting several hundred new reports each month, and i
would need to add the 'start' and 'end' sheets to each one.

I would love to just have a formula that i could paste in to each sheet.
Thank you for the response... It made perfect sense given the information I
had supplied.

"Leif" wrote:

My goal is to calculate a sum from the same column on ALL worksheets. I
already know I can select multi sheets in an existing formula:

=Average(start:end!AA32)

I am always adding worksheets to specific books and I would like to not have
to update the formulas. I want a wildcard or 'select all' in the formula.

I know I could insert the new worksheet between the existing start and end
sheets, but the new sheet would always need to be at the end.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

As far as I know, there is no built-in way for Excel to do what you're
asking. I think your only options would be to create a Macro to set up these
"Start" and "End" sheets that you could run each time you get a new report.
Or, create a User Defined Function using VB.

Perhaps someone else has a different solution? Sorry I couldn't be more help.