Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date function returns #NUM!

All,

I need some help sorting out a problem with dates.

In G8: 12/31/1995 (serial value of: 35064)
G9, has the formula: =DATE(YEAR(G8),MONTH(G8)+2,1)-1 and yields #NUM!
(the purpose of the formula is to give me the last day of the next
month)

If I copy these two cells into a new workbook, I get the desired,
1/31/1996.

What could be causing this erratic behavior with my excel? The
workbook that I am modifying was created originally in Excel '97

Thanks!

Jonathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Not sure why you're getting #NUM!.

The formula works for me. It can be written as:

=DATE(YEAR(G8),MONTH(G8)+2,0)

But either way it returns the correct date. Even if G8 was a TEXT date it
would still work so I can't see why you'd get a #NUM! error.

Biff

wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I need some help sorting out a problem with dates.

In G8: 12/31/1995 (serial value of: 35064)
G9, has the formula: =DATE(YEAR(G8),MONTH(G8)+2,1)-1 and yields #NUM!
(the purpose of the formula is to give me the last day of the next
month)

If I copy these two cells into a new workbook, I get the desired,
1/31/1996.

What could be causing this erratic behavior with my excel? The
workbook that I am modifying was created originally in Excel '97

Thanks!

Jonathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Toolsoptionstransition, de-select transition formula evaluation, a long
time I ago I rebuilt a time sheet that was originally created in Lotus for a
company , I wanted to make it work by just changing the year in one cell so
I built a lot of formulas using the date function and I got this error, I
almost climbed the walls before I checked the transition options, the idea
came when I saw other formulas preceded with + instead of =

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I need some help sorting out a problem with dates.

In G8: 12/31/1995 (serial value of: 35064)
G9, has the formula: =DATE(YEAR(G8),MONTH(G8)+2,1)-1 and yields #NUM!
(the purpose of the formula is to give me the last day of the next
month)

If I copy these two cells into a new workbook, I get the desired,
1/31/1996.

What could be causing this erratic behavior with my excel? The
workbook that I am modifying was created originally in Excel '97

Thanks!

Jonathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jonathan

Thanks guys!

That did it -- wow I thought I was going insane. You all were ar great
help.

Does unselecting the transition option have any adverse affects?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom