Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Default Date function returns #NUM!

wrote...
In G8: 12/31/1995 (serial value of: 35064)
G9, has the formula: =DATE(YEAR(G8),MONTH(G8)+2,1)-1 and yields #NUM!
(the purpose of the formula is to give me the last day of the next
month)

If I copy these two cells into a new workbook, I get the desired,
1/31/1996.

What could be causing this erratic behavior with my excel? The
workbook that I am modifying was created originally in Excel '97

Tools Options, select the Transition tab, uncheck 'Transition formula
evaluation'. Since [123] transition settings are workbook-specific, you
could copy the date constant and the formula returning #NUM! into
another workbook with this setting disabled, and the formula would
work, returning 1/31/1996 as expected.