Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
johnc

Default The absolute referenced cell does not move when source cell moves

I'm linking one cell in excel to another cell in a seperate spread sheet and
using the absolute reference $ to allow the formula to move when the source
cell moves. This doesn't work unless both spread sheets are open when the
cell is moved.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

John,

You're not doing anything wrong. Both sheets need to be open for Excel to know that something has
moved...

The better alternative is to use formulas that find your moving cell: match/index/vlookup etc...

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"johnc" wrote in message
I'm linking one cell in excel to another cell in a seperate spread sheet and
using the absolute reference $ to allow the formula to move when the source
cell moves. This doesn't work unless both spread sheets are open when the
cell is moved.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
johnc

Default The absolute referenced cell does not move when source cell mo

Bernie,
Thanks I'll try that, you've saved me a lot of frustration!