Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Default custom number formats

Hi all

When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
'bold and size 12 font'?

Thank you

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Hi Louise:

NumberFormats and font characteristics are separate:

Sub Macro1()
Selection.NumberFormat = "yy-mm-dd"
With Selection.Font
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 12
End With
Gary''s Student

"Louise" wrote:

Hi all

When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
'bold and size 12 font'?

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

correct I'm afraid - custom formats allow you to alter the formatting
of the number (so you can include symbols, change decimals, format the
date as month etc) but you cannot change the format of the cell (that
would be custom cell format, not custom number format) and such an
option does not exist

"Louise" wrote:

Hi all

When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
'bold and size 12 font'?

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Thank you for your reply.
Is it possible then to format the NUMBERS into size 12 font and bold?
Thanks again.
Louise

"Louise" wrote:

Hi all

When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
'bold and size 12 font'?

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Not with the custom format. Why do you want to so it via the custom format? Maybe there is an easy other solution for what you're
trying to achieve.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Louise" wrote in message ...
| Thank you for your reply.
| Is it possible then to format the NUMBERS into size 12 font and bold?
| Thanks again.
| Louise
|
| " wrote:
|
| correct I'm afraid - custom formats allow you to alter the formatting
| of the number (so you can include symbols, change decimals, format the
| date as month etc) but you cannot change the format of the cell (that
| would be custom cell format, not custom number format) and such an
| option does not exist
| Louise wrote:
| So is this not possible to do via Format, Cells, Custom?
| Thank you.
| Louise
|
| "Gary''s Student" wrote:
|
| Hi Louise:
|
| NumberFormats and font characteristics are separate:
|

| Sub Macro1()
| Selection.NumberFormat = "yy-mm-dd"
| With Selection.Font
| .FontStyle = "Bold"
| .Size = 12
| End With
| End Sub
| --
| Gary''s Student
|

| "Louise" wrote:
|
| Hi all
|
| When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
| 'bold and size 12 font'?
|
| Thank you
|
| Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Thank you for replying.
The only reason I ask - I ran an Excel Advanced training course yesterday
and went through creating custom numbers, ie. changing the font colour, using
brackets for negative numbers etc. Because I showed them how to change the
font colour of positive and negative numbers, a delegate asked if it was
possible to change the size of the font too whilst we were there.

So it can't be done?

Thanks again.

Louise

"Louise" wrote in message ...
| Thank you for your reply.
| Is it possible then to format the NUMBERS into size 12 font and bold?
| Thanks again.
| Louise
|
| " wrote:
|
| correct I'm afraid - custom formats allow you to alter the formatting
| of the number (so you can include symbols, change decimals, format the
| date as month etc) but you cannot change the format of the cell (that
| would be custom cell format, not custom number format) and such an
| option does not exist
| Louise wrote:
| So is this not possible to do via Format, Cells, Custom?
| Thank you.
| Louise
|
| "Gary''s Student" wrote:
|
| Hi Louise:
|
| NumberFormats and font characteristics are separate:
|

| Sub Macro1()
| Selection.NumberFormat = "yy-mm-dd"
| With Selection.Font
| .FontStyle = "Bold"
| .Size = 12
| End With
| End Sub
| --
| Gary''s Student
|

| "Louise" wrote:
|
| Hi all
|
| When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
| 'bold and size 12 font'?
|
| Thank you
|
| Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

<So it can't be done?

No. You can change some characteristics (Font style, color, underline, strikethrough) using conditional formatting, but not the
font.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Louise" wrote in message ...
| Thank you for replying.
| The only reason I ask - I ran an Excel Advanced training course yesterday
| and went through creating custom numbers, ie. changing the font colour, using
| brackets for negative numbers etc. Because I showed them how to change the
| font colour of positive and negative numbers, a delegate asked if it was
| possible to change the size of the font too whilst we were there.
|
| So it can't be done?
|
| Thanks again.
|
| Louise
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Not with the custom format. Why do you want to so it via the custom format? Maybe there is an easy other solution for what
you're
| trying to achieve.
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
|
| "Louise" wrote in message ...
| | Thank you for your reply.
| | Is it possible then to format the NUMBERS into size 12 font and bold?
| | Thanks again.
| | Louise
| |
| | " wrote:
| |
| | correct I'm afraid - custom formats allow you to alter the formatting
| | of the number (so you can include symbols, change decimals, format the
| | date as month etc) but you cannot change the format of the cell (that
| | would be custom cell format, not custom number format) and such an
| | option does not exist
| | Louise wrote:
| | So is this not possible to do via Format, Cells, Custom?
| | Thank you.
| | Louise
| |
| | "Gary''s Student" wrote:
| |
| | Hi Louise:
| |
| | NumberFormats and font characteristics are separate:
| |
| |
| | Sub Macro1()
| | Selection.NumberFormat = "yy-mm-dd"
| | With Selection.Font
| | .FontStyle = "Bold"
| | .Size = 12
| | End With
| | End Sub
| | --
| | Gary''s Student
| |
| |
| | "Louise" wrote:
| |
| | Hi all
| |
| | When creating a custom number format, how would you ask it to show text in
| | 'bold and size 12 font'?
| |
| | Thank you
| |