Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Indy_Ball

Default How do I allow for multiple values in VLOOKUP?

I have a list of people that are working particular shifts which are set up
in four to five hour increments. Some people are working consecutive shifts
(working eight/nine hours in a day). I am trying to show each person's
schedule with beginning and end times using VLOOKUP. It is working just fine
if the people only work one shift per day. The multiple shift people only
have their first shifts display. I would like to LOOKUP based upon the
person's name giving the first shift's start time and the second shift's end
time and haven't found a good combination of functions to use. Any
suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Do the shifts span past midnight like 10:00 PM - 6:00 AM ?

If not then you could use something like this:

For the earliest start time:

=MIN(IF(A1:A10="some_name",B1:B10))

For the latest end time:

=MAX(IF(A1:A10="some_name",B1:B10))

You can replace "some_name" with a cell reference.

These are array formulas and must be entered using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER.

Biff

"Indy_Ball" wrote in message
I have a list of people that are working particular shifts which are set up
in four to five hour increments. Some people are working consecutive
shifts
(working eight/nine hours in a day). I am trying to show each person's
schedule with beginning and end times using VLOOKUP. It is working just
fine
if the people only work one shift per day. The multiple shift people only
have their first shifts display. I would like to LOOKUP based upon the
person's name giving the first shift's start time and the second shift's
end
time and haven't found a good combination of functions to use. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Indy_Ball

Biff -
That worked marvelously.
Thanks

"Indy_Ball" wrote in message
I have a list of people that are working particular shifts which are set up
in four to five hour increments. Some people are working consecutive
shifts
(working eight/nine hours in a day). I am trying to show each person's
schedule with beginning and end times using VLOOKUP. It is working just
fine
if the people only work one shift per day. The multiple shift people only
have their first shifts display. I would like to LOOKUP based upon the
person's name giving the first shift's start time and the second shift's
end
time and haven't found a good combination of functions to use. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Biff