Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GWHITE1

Default Vlookup on a worksheet with similar values

I have a worksheet that I am trying to use Vlookup on to return specific
info, however vlookup will stop at the first reference it sees and
return that value back instead of the next one which I need. I am sure
there is a way of telling it to look at the 2nd or third item in the
reference array to return the specific info I need. What I am not sure
of is how to tell it to do that.

help....

--
GWHITE1
GWHITE1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29969

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GWHITE1

I thanks you for your reply, however it only served to confused me
further because I am new to these advanced functions of excel.

I understand that the index function is suppose to help get past the
first item, however when i tried to apply it to my spreadsheet it, came
back with the "!VALUE" error. And if not corrected it seems to run on
and on bringing up a pop up error.

The scnerio is that I have two spreadsheets, sheet a has the info I
want with duplicate key values ( and I can't change the colume used for
the key value because its the only consistant colume). If I use the
VLOOKUP function it will stop at the first item in the list and report
its value back to sheet b. I would like to use the second instance of
the keyed value.

I am sure you probably understood me the first time.. I am just not so
convinced that I understood me and wanted to explain again.

If anyone could offer some assistance on this I would greatly
appreciate it and Happy Holidays!

--
GWHITE1
GWHITE1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29969
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496635

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

You may send me a SMALL workbook with a clear explanation of what you want
and I will take a look. Provide examples.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"GWHITE1" wrote in