Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JPaterson

Default Delete row by time/date?

I'm working on a project that's quite large, and I would like to know if
it's possible to have Excel remove a column at a certain time and date.

For example, if part of my worksheet has a row with an item and a
status I call "Incomplete", it's because that part of the project isn't
finished. Once I finish it, it updates to "Complete", and then I'll
remove it. However, if I want to have that row removed at a certain
time, is there a function that'll allow me to do this? If not, what
about a macro?

--
JPaterson
JPaterson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Hi JP,

Do you want to actually delete the entire row, nullify its contents, or just
exclude it from a calculation?

If you want to:
.. delete the row, you'll need a clock-driven macro;
.. nullify the row's contents, you could use a formula to change numbers to
text; or
.. exclude the row from a calculation, you could use a formula to ignore that
row,
at a certain date/time. You can also create formulae to test for a
'complete' entry against different items for exclusion purposes.

Cheers

"JPaterson" wrote
in message ...

I'm working on a project that's quite large, and I would like to know if
it's possible to have Excel remove a column at a certain time and date.

For example, if part of my worksheet has a row with an item and a
status I call "Incomplete", it's because that part of the project isn't
finished. Once I finish it, it updates to "Complete", and then I'll
remove it. However, if I want to have that row removed at a certain
time, is there a function that'll allow me to do this? If not, what
about a macro?

--
JPaterson
JPaterson's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537543

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JPaterson

macropod:

Thanks for the response. I'm guessing I'll need the clock macro. See,
my project would look like image one.

http://www.jpatworld.com/excela.jpg

See the project labeled "complete"? Say I don't remove the row
manually, for some reason or another. What I would want (the macro)
would delete the row for me automatically so that the sheet would look
like:

http://www.jpatworld.com/excelb.jpg

It would remove row five and cause row six to become five.

You think a clock macro would accomplish this?

--
JPaterson
JPaterson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33967
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537543

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Hi JP,

OK, running the macro is easy enough, but where is it going to get the
date/time criteria for deciding when to delete a 'complete' row - or do you
want it to simply go through the worksheet at a given time and delete every
'complete' row it finds?

If you don't have a date & time criterion, you'd need to have the macro run
at intervals of, say, every 5 minutes to delete 'complete' rows. But that
could lead to worksheet having unwanted 'complete' rows for up to 5 minutes
after it is first opened.

An alternative, which might work just as well for your purposes, if to have
an auto macro go through the worksheet every time the workbook is opened and
delete an 'complete' rows it finds. This will create much less overhead for
your system than a macro running of a timer.

Yet another possibility is a macro that looks in your status column and
automatically deletes any row you mark as complete immediately you hit the
enter key after typing 'complete'.

Cheers

"JPaterson" wrote in
message ...