Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris T-M

Default How do I make a compound function?

I am having a huge issue with having to use simple functions with data coming
from several sheets. Is there such a thing as a "compound function"? For
instance "AVERAGE(C17)" C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1). My next
calculation would be STDEV(C17), instead of re-entering all of the other page
references.

Part A: AVERAGE(C17)
Part B: C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Chris --
two approaches to think about. If your cells are the same on each
worksheet, then you can use, "=AVERAGE('Sheet1:Sheet3'!A1). If your cells
are discontinuous, then you might create a named range of all the cells.
Then you can use "=AVERAGE(NamedRange)".

HTH

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I am having a huge issue with having to use simple functions with data coming
from several sheets. Is there such a thing as a "compound function"? For
instance "AVERAGE(C17)" C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1). My next
calculation would be STDEV(C17), instead of re-entering all of the other page
references.

Part A: AVERAGE(C17)
Part B: C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris T-M

How do I rate a post? I juust see Helpful: Yes or No

pdberger
Thanks, The only issue that remains is that Excel help does not return a hit
on "NamedRange", but the first approach certainly simplifies my function.

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I am having a huge issue with having to use simple functions with data coming
from several sheets. Is there such a thing as a "compound function"? For
instance "AVERAGE(C17)" C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1). My next
calculation would be STDEV(C17), instead of re-entering all of the other page
references.

Part A: AVERAGE(C17)
Part B: C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Chris --

Named ranges have a very coolness factor, and you should certainly learn how
to use them. Basically -- select the area you're interested in. Then click
InsertNameDefine and give it a name. You can't put spaces or punctuation
marks (hence my NamedRange language) in the name. Then, wherever you are in
that workbook, you can type that name in a formula and Excel knows what cells
you're talking about on which pages.

"Chris T-M" wrote:

I am having a huge issue with having to use simple functions with data coming
from several sheets. Is there such a thing as a "compound function"? For
instance "AVERAGE(C17)" C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1). My next
calculation would be STDEV(C17), instead of re-entering all of the other page
references.

Part A: AVERAGE(C17)
Part B: C17=('Sheet1'!A1,'Sheet2'!A1,'Sheet3'!A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris T-M

Thanks pd,
Between the 2 tips, my spreadsheets' running great.