Dennis

Default Reporting of Empty Cells

I have created a formula that requires reference cells to not report back "0"
unless an entry is made into the cell, including "0". I attempted to use the
#N/A function, but since there are four or more cells that contribute to the
formula, nothing is returned until all cells have received an entry.

The formula I am using is:

=IF(H26=O26,"1",IF(H26O26,"0",IF(H26<O26,"0")))

If the cell is read as "0" for both H26 and O26, the result is "1". What I
need is the result to be "0", until an actual entry is made in H26 & O26
since the entry could be "0" as well as a whole number.

Is there any way to reset the reference cell so that "0" is not read in the
formula unless entered?
Biff

Hi!

Not sure of what you're asking but here's some
observations on your formula:

=IF(H26=O26,"1",IF(H26O26,"0",IF(H26<O26,"0")) )

"1" and "0" will be treated as TEXT, not numbers. If you
actually mean for those values to be NUMBERS leave out the
quotes. You only want to quote TEXT. (although there are
cases when you just might want numbers as TEXT)

IF(H26O26,"0",IF(H26<O26,"0")))

This is somewhat contradictory but if it's intentionally
set to be that way you can express that in this manner:

H26<O26

Maybe this is what you're after:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK(H26),ISBLANK(O26)),"",IF(H26<O26, 0,1))

Biff

I have created a formula that requires reference cells to

not report back "0"
unless an entry is made into the cell, including "0". I

attempted to use the
#N/A function, but since there are four or more cells

that contribute to the
formula, nothing is returned until all cells have

received an entry.

The formula I am using is:

=IF(H26=O26,"1",IF(H26O26,"0",IF(H26<O26,"0")) )

If the cell is read as "0" for both H26 and O26, the

result is "1". What I
need is the result to be "0", until an actual entry is

made in H26 & O26
since the entry could be "0" as well as a whole number.

Is there any way to reset the reference cell so that "0"

is not read in the
formula unless entered?
.

Biff

Hmmm...

Maybe this is better now that I've tinkered with it:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(H26),ISBLANK(O26)),"",IF(H26<O26,0 ,1))

Biff

[...]

Dennis

Yes, this seems to work perfectly and the cells report exactly what I am
looking for.

Thank you for your assistance!

Dennis

"Dennis" wrote in message
I have created a formula that requires reference cells to not report back

"0"
unless an entry is made into the cell, including "0". I attempted to use

the
#N/A function, but since there are four or more cells that contribute to

the
formula, nothing is returned until all cells have received an entry.

The formula I am using is:

=IF(H26=O26,"1",IF(H26O26,"0",IF(H26<O26,"0")))

If the cell is read as "0" for both H26 and O26, the result is "1". What

need is the result to be "0", until an actual entry is made in H26 & O26
since the entry could be "0" as well as a whole number.

Is there any way to reset the reference cell so that "0" is not read in

the
formula unless entered?

Ragdyer

Thanks for the feed-back.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

If I understand what you're looking for, try this:

=IF(OR(H26<O26,AND(H26="",O26="")),0,1)
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-