Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Corben

Default Another Conditional format question

I have a report setup where I paste data into a range of cells.
The cells have a conditional formula to compare the cells to a list of cells
in column A.

I use this report on a monthly basis, and the list in column A changes every
month.
So the easiest way for me to start the new month is to make a copy of the
completed report for the previous month, and simply delete the data that I
had pasted in.

Only problem is when I delete that data, it also deletes the conditional
format for those cells

Is there a way to delete delete the data in a cell, but keep the conditional
format?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hitting the delete key will delete the contents of the cells and not
change the formatting. Deleting the ROW or CELL will delete the cell,
and therefore the new cell at that point will not have the formatting
in it. My own method would be to start with a BLANK monthly report,
which would be read-only and would therefore serve as the template.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Corben

I highlight the range of cells that have to conditional format.

When I hit the delete key, the cell contects and confitional format is
deleted.
If, however the cell is empty, (meaning I did not paste any data into it),
the conditional format is not deleted.

" wrote:

Hitting the delete key will delete the contents of the cells and not
change the formatting. Deleting the ROW or CELL will delete the cell,
and therefore the new cell at that point will not have the formatting
in it. My own method would be to start with a BLANK monthly report,
which would be read-only and would therefore serve as the template.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've just tested this with cells with conditional formatting, and the
format isn't deleted when I hit delete - I wonder if the clue is in the
PASTE statement you made - pasting cells over cells would paste the
formats as well, which would lose the conditional formatting - paste
special, values would get round that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mdchachi

Try doing Edit, Paste Special and paste only the values in. This should
preserve any conditional formats that were there.

--
mdchachi
mdchachi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33953