Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hadleigh

Default Adding columns of times

I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for example 3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24 formats and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell with the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24 formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hadleigh

Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command, and then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that and it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24 formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

Use Format | Cells... | Custom | Type: [hh]:mm

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command, and then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that and
it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in
Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24
formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell
with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hadleigh

Trevor,

Thanks very much for the response. This is working fine now as long as the
total hours don't equal more than 24. The sum isn't right if the total is
more than 24 hours (even when I add *24 to the formula) but at least it's
working right in the other cases.

Regards,
Hadleigh

"hadleigh" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command, and then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that and
it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in
Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24
formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell
with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

The point of the square brackets ([]) around the hh thus[hh] is
to cater for more than 24 hours. You should be able to accumulate hundreds
of hours.

12:00
13:00
14:00
15:00
16:00
17:00
18:00
19:00
20:00
21:00
22:00
23:00
24:00
25:00

259:00

all formatted as [hh]:mm

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command, and
then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to
work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that
and
it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out
the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for
example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in
Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24
formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell
with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hadleigh

NOW I get it. I thought I had to select [hh]:mm which wasn't an option under
the Type column when I was formatting the cell. So I was using the closest
thing, which was h:mm. Now I realize I can type in my own entry, so I typed
in [hh]:mm and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

"hadleigh" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command, and
then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to
work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that
and
it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out
the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as:

[hh]:mm

03:15
12:40
07:35
06:10

29:40

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
I'm trying to add increments of time (in the h:mm format, for
example
3:15),
to come up with the total hours and minutes in part of a column, in
Excel
2002. I've tried the =SUM(cell:cell) and the =SUM(cell:cell)*24
formats
and
neither works properly. I've tried adjusting the format of the cell
with
the
formula in it. Still not working. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

You are very welcome.

Regards

Trevor

"hadleigh" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but I'm something of an Excel novice and I don't
understand this. Do you mean to go into the Format/Cell command,
and
then
choose Time and then the 13:30 format? Because that didn't seem to
work.
Or, do I add [hh]:mm into the formula for the cell? I've tried that
and
it's
not working but perhaps I'm not doing it right. Could you spell out
the
right formula? Is it =SUM(cell:cell)*24[hh]:mm? Many thanks for
the
response!

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

Format the result cell as: