Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sayvari

Default Adding columns in Pivot Table having common description

Hi,

I have made a Pivot Table (with 4000 rows and 80 columns) giving
details of Employee Expenses for 2005-06 but it has columns which have
similar description since we changed the Account Codes during the year
and in some cases they mean the same thing like Breakfast, Lunch and
Dinner all of which can be merged in one column.

Is there a way these similar columns could be added into one column
within the pivot table itself?

Thanks in advance,

Sayvari

--
sayvari
sayvari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7402

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
William Horton

You can group certain items that you want to within a field itself. However,
I don't believe you can group multiple fields together. I believe you would
have to adjust your source data. You would have to make a column called
"category" which you would fill with either "Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner".
You would then need a column called "Amount" where you would enter the
amount. You could then group the items Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner together
on the pivot table under one heading that you could name whatever you want.

Hope this is a start.

Bill Horton

"sayvari" wrote:

Hi,

I have made a Pivot Table (with 4000 rows and 80 columns) giving
details of Employee Expenses for 2005-06 but it has columns which have
similar description since we changed the Account Codes during the year
and in some cases they mean the same thing like Breakfast, Lunch and
Dinner all of which can be merged in one column.

Is there a way these similar columns could be added into one column
within the pivot table itself?

Thanks in advance,

Sayvari

--
sayvari
sayvari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7402
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532387

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sayvari

Hi Bill,

I managed to group similar descriptions columnsnext to each other, the
other problem is for those columns not adjacent to each other the
grouping function is not working, is there a way to resolve this
without going back to the source data.

Thanks,

Sayvari