stacey

Default SUM IF Criteria

Does anyone know if the criteria in a SUMIF function must
be a specific value as oppsed to a cell reference. I've
been trying to get the following to work:
A B C D E F
1 START Sep 1 Oct 1 Nov 1 Dec 1
2 Program A Oct 1 34 46 52 25
3 Program B Nov 1 42 29 32 21

For each program, I want to sum only the values that come
AFTER the start date. Since the data changes every month,
I need a way to set up the criteria to reference the START
column to identify the START date. I've been writing the
formula as:

=SUMIF(B1:F1,"B2",B2:F2)
This return a value of "0"
If I substitute the actual value for the cell reference:
=SUMIF(B1:F1, "Oct 1", B2:F2)
the formula works, but it doesn't solve my problem since
the program list (and start dates) change every month.

Should I give up on SUMIF and try this another way??? Any
suggestions???

Frank Kabel

Hi
=SUMIF(B1:F1,""&B2,B2:F2)