Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff

Default Data and the "IF" formula

I am trying to set up a sheet that will let me enter a number into a column
and it will fill in the second column. I know that is confussing, so here is
what I am trying to do...
Column A is like this
a1 1000
a2 2000
a3 3000
etc
Column B is
b1 99
b2 197
b3 296

what I want to do is type the number 2000 in on block (IE C1) and 197 auto
fills into another block (IE D1). I can get it to work if I type each
number, but I have about 300 to do.
Any help? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sige

Hi Jeff,

Maybe this is what you are after
=VLOOKUP(C1;A:B;2;FALSE) in D1

fill down in D2, D3, etc

HTH Sige

Jeff wrote:
I am trying to set up a sheet that will let me enter a number into a column
and it will fill in the second column. I know that is confussing, so here is
what I am trying to do...
Column A is like this
a1 1000
a2 2000
a3 3000
etc
Column B is
b1 99
b2 197
b3 296

what I want to do is type the number 2000 in on block (IE C1) and 197 auto
fills into another block (IE D1). I can get it to work if I type each
number, but I have about 300 to do.
Any help? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff

Thanks for the help, but it doesn't seem to like the formula. It says there
is an error in the formula and it Highlights the C1.

Jeff wrote:
I am trying to set up a sheet that will let me enter a number into a column
and it will fill in the second column. I know that is confussing, so here is
what I am trying to do...
Column A is like this
a1 1000
a2 2000
a3 3000
etc
Column B is
b1 99
b2 197
b3 296

what I want to do is type the number 2000 in on block (IE C1) and 197 auto
fills into another block (IE D1). I can get it to work if I type each
number, but I have about 300 to do.
Any help? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff

Maybe if I lay it out like this it will help
I want to enter the number 1000 (A2) in C2 and have 99(B2) auto show in D2.
I hope that makes a little more sense.
Thanks again for the help.
Jeff

__A________B________C_________D______
1 Weight Moment Weight Moment
2 1000 99

Jeff wrote:
I am trying to set up a sheet that will let me enter a number into a column
and it will fill in the second column. I know that is confussing, so here is
what I am trying to do...
Column A is like this
a1 1000
a2 2000
a3 3000
etc
Column B is
b1 99
b2 197
b3 296

what I want to do is type the number 2000 in on block (IE C1) and 197 auto
fills into another block (IE D1). I can get it to work if I type each
number, but I have about 300 to do.
Any help? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Change the ";" in the formula to ","

=VLOOKUP(C1,A:B,2,;FALSE)

Jeff wrote:
I am trying to set up a sheet that will let me enter a number into a column
and it will fill in the second column. I know that is confussing, so here is
what I am trying to do...
Column A is like this
a1 1000
a2 2000
a3 3000
etc
Column B is
b1 99
b2 197
b3 296

what I want to do is type the number 2000 in on block (IE C1) and 197 auto
fills into another block (IE D1). I can get it to work if I type each
number, but I have about 300 to do.
Any help? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers