Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bonkers

Default sumproduct doesn't work

I'm using this formula =sumproduct(--(G33:G37="OTT"),N33:N37) this should sum
values of N33 throug N37 if the corresponding G33 through G37 has OTT in the
cell. It returns 0. If I change the contents of cells G33:G37 from OTT to
another group of letters such as dl and update the formula it returns the
correct response. What could possibly be wrong with using OTT in the cell
that it won't work in the formula - very strange.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bonkers

Thanks Gary but no - no space in OTT. The column contains many different
acronyms (not just OTT) and none of them work until I change the acronym to
something else, alter the formula to reflect that change. Once again - very
strange!

"Bonkers" wrote:

I'm using this formula =sumproduct(--(G33:G37="OTT"),N33:N37) this should sum
values of N33 throug N37 if the corresponding G33 through G37 has OTT in the
cell. It returns 0. If I change the contents of cells G33:G37 from OTT to
another group of letters such as dl and update the formula it returns the
correct response. What could possibly be wrong with using OTT in the cell
that it won't work in the formula - very strange.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

Not sure why your formula doesn't work but you only really need SUMIF

=sumif(G33:G37,"OTT",N33:N37)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Do you have (oh) T T or (zero) T T in the cell?

And does it match what you have in the formula?

Bonkers wrote:

I'm using this formula =sumproduct(--(G33:G37="OTT"),N33:N37) this should sum
values of N33 throug N37 if the corresponding G33 through G37 has OTT in the
cell. It returns 0. If I change the contents of cells G33:G37 from OTT to
another group of letters such as dl and update the formula it returns the
correct response. What could possibly be wrong with using OTT in the cell
that it won't work in the formula - very strange.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bonkers

I tried this as well after struggling with sumproduct and coudn't get it to
work either. Thanks.

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

Not sure why your formula doesn't work but you only really need SUMIF

=sumif(G33:G37,"OTT",N33:N37)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535217

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bonkers

Hi Dave,

Capital O as in Oh

I've tried this on a new spreadsheet and it works just fine - something on
the existing sheet won't allow any of the acronyms to be seen in a new
formula. I've turned off 'Autosum' and 'Subtotals' to see if these affected
it but no change. I can put these acronyms in another column and alter the
formula and they work.

Bonkers wrote:

I'm using this formula =sumproduct(--(G33:G37="OTT"),N33:N37) this should sum
values of N33 throug N37 if the corresponding G33 through G37 has OTT in the
cell. It returns 0. If I change the contents of cells G33:G37 from OTT to
another group of letters such as dl and update the formula it returns the
correct response. What could possibly be wrong with using OTT in the cell
that it won't work in the formula - very strange.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bonkers

Fixed it - When I was typing in the acronym into the cell the autotyping was
finishing it off with the additional spaces the other cells contained -
that's a bit embarrassing! Thanks for everyone's help here and sorry for the
mind bender.