Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cindy

Default What function/formula should I use?

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

What is the logic behind each R and L? I cannot divine any logic by taking a
quick look at these tables

"cindy" wrote:

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cindy

This is a random number table that has an R or L (right and left) associated
with each fixed number. I need to extract the R or L with the other
values(which I used the LOOKUP function for) for each fixed number.

"cindy" wrote:

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

But what is the rule for determine what the first x is ay, or the second?
The correlation between the first row values and what is in your table is
not obvious.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"cindy" wrote:

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that

it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x

is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

OK, let's try this again. Look at the first row of your first table. There
are three values shown there. Which one(s) are used to determine whether the
row should have an R or an L, and how do you determine that?

"cindy" wrote:

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cindy

I just looked at the info I posted and realized why you are confused. When I
changed the PTM# the table data did not change so my LOOKUP formula did not
work correctly. When I enter a PTM number I am looking for all of the data
associated with the PTM number from the table to transfer over.

"cindy" wrote:

I am trying to have excel return a value to me based on a number that it
compares to a fixed table of numbers. See example below (the small x is the
value that I am trying to retrieve, this will be an R or L):

X Y PTM#
0.54 x 0.58 1
0.82 x 0.50 2
0.66 x 0.73 3
0.06 x 0.27 4
0.03 x 0.13 5

Here is the Table:
X Y PTM
0.29 R 0.66 1
0.74 R 0.49 2
0.89 L 0.70 3
0.60 R 0.39 4
0.88 R 0.31 5

What function/formula should I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

So..you want to use the PTM# to drive ALL three columns to the left?

Assuming the first column is column A, you enter the PTM# in column D, and
that your 'lookup table' is in F1:I10, use this formula in A1, then copy it
down as many rows as needed, and over into columns B & C

=INDEX(F$1:F$10,MATCH($D1,$I$1:$I$10))