Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jan

Default AutoFilter list problem

I am using Excel 97. I have set the autofilter feature in Excel to the
column labels.
When I select the drop down arrow on column B, it does not show me all the
unique data that could be selected in the list. I only see a portion of
unique values.
The list is contiguous (no blank rows). Is there a limit to how much data
will display in the drop down list?

TIA
Jan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

Jan

bad news ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q295971/

Not all list items are displayed in the AutoFilter list in Excel

SYMPTOMS

When you use the AutoFilter command in Microsoft Excel, the AutoFilter list
may not display all the unique visible items in a column as expected.

CAUSE

In the products that are listed in the "Applies to" section, the limitation
of the amount of entries in the AutoFilter list is 1,000. If you have more
than 1,000 unique items in the list, only the first 1,000 items appear.

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, use the AutoFilter command on several smaller
sections of the data instead of on all the data at the same time. All list
items will be visible if each subset has no more unique members than the
limit for the particular version of Excel.

Regards

Trevor

"Jan" wrote in message
I am using Excel 97. I have set the autofilter feature in Excel to the
column labels.
When I select the drop down arrow on column B, it does not show me all the
unique data that could be selected in the list. I only see a portion of
unique values.
The list is contiguous (no blank rows). Is there a limit to how much data
will display in the drop down list?

TIA
Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jan

Trevor,

At least that explains it. I was going nuts trying to determine why. I
also searched KB at Microsoft, but I guess I wasn't entering the correct
search criteria.

Thank you.
Jan