Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default hyperlink using cell contents

I have spreadsheet which is a column of movie names. is it possible to
hyperlink to the Internet Movie Data Base info for the move?
I tried adding http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=move name which is what
the site itself does when a title is specified. I'd like to do it in a
generic way in the spreadhseet so I don't have to modify each cell's
hyperlink.
I need a way to reference the cell's contents in the Edit Hyperlink
Dialog. I tried, for example, variations on the Cell function like
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=cell("contents",a1) or
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q="cell("contents",a1)", etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

try this where j4 contains move
=HYPERLINK("http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q="&J4)
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have spreadsheet which is a column of movie names. is it possible to
hyperlink to the Internet Movie Data Base info for the move?
I tried adding
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=move name which is what
the site itself does when a title is specified. I'd like to do it in a
generic way in the spreadhseet so I don't have to modify each cell's
hyperlink.
I need a way to reference the cell's contents in the Edit Hyperlink
Dialog. I tried, for example, variations on the Cell function like
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=cell("contents",a1) or
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q="cell("contents",a1)", etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the suggestion. That's kind of what i had in mind. Even
better would be if there there is a way to make J4 a hyperlink. It
would contain the hyperlink to the IMDB movie info. Is there a way to
make the Edit Hyperlink dialog refer to it's Display field contents?
I'm thinking there might be syntax for referring to editable field
contnents of a dialog.