Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen

Default count function help

I have a workbook with 2 columns, Service & Location. Each location has up
to 4 services. I need to find out how many locations have all 4 services, 3
services etc. I simpy cannot figure out how to do it. I have tried the
subtotal till I am crazy and cannot do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
using Excel 2002, SP3. I would be happy to email part of the sheet if that
will help. Thank you so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Karen --
In order for people to help, they'll need to see how you set up the columns.
Just a few rows recreated here should do the trick.

"Karen" wrote:

I have a workbook with 2 columns, Service & Location. Each location has up
to 4 services. I need to find out how many locations have all 4 services, 3
services etc. I simpy cannot figure out how to do it. I have tried the
subtotal till I am crazy and cannot do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
using Excel 2002, SP3. I would be happy to email part of the sheet if that
will help. Thank you so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen

Sorry! I am a newby!

Location Service
8 EL
8 WA
8 SW
8 RE
20 EL
20 SW
26 EL
26 WA
26 SW
30 EL

does that help? Thank you so much!

"Karen" wrote:

I have a workbook with 2 columns, Service & Location. Each location has up
to 4 services. I need to find out how many locations have all 4 services, 3
services etc. I simpy cannot figure out how to do it. I have tried the
subtotal till I am crazy and cannot do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
using Excel 2002, SP3. I would be happy to email part of the sheet if that
will help. Thank you so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Karen --

Two ways.
First -- use the COUNTIF function, and essentially ignore the 'Service'
column -- after all, you don't really need it for this purpose
A B
Location Service
1 8 EL
2 8 WA
3 8 SW
4 8 RE
5 20 EL
6 20 SW
7 26 EL
8 26 WA
9 26 SW
10 30 EL

15 8 =countif($a$2:$a$10,a15)
16 20 =countif($a$2:$a$10,a16)
etc.

The second, much cooler way is to try a pivot table. Select a cell in your
table, and click DataPivotTable. Follow the instructions, dragging the
location field into the row headers, and the service field into the data
area. (This will make sense when you try it.) Very cool.

HTH

"Karen" wrote:

I have a workbook with 2 columns, Service & Location. Each location has up
to 4 services. I need to find out how many locations have all 4 services, 3
services etc. I simpy cannot figure out how to do it. I have tried the
subtotal till I am crazy and cannot do it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
using Excel 2002, SP3. I would be happy to email part of the sheet if that
will help. Thank you so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
via135

hi!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B10=F1)*(--A1:A10=G1))

assuming that the service you are looking for is in F1 & the location
you looking for is in G1

-via135

--
via135
via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen

Well, It's probably inappropriate on this board but "I LOVE YOU"! Thank you
so much for your help. You will never know how much I appreciate it. I got
it! Thanks again.