Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
yozzdi

Default MSN Stock Quotes Excel plugin broken?

I have been using MSNStockQuotes on a few computers without any problems
for months.

Now (in the last day or so) , when I press "update Quotes" on any of
the computers, I get a "Failed to get requested Data" message. I can
often "trick" it into getting the quotes by deleting a bunch of the
quotes, then choosing Edit-Undo, which then fetches the quotes
properly, but even that fails some of the time (same displayed
message).

This happens even with older copies of my spreadsheet that used to work
perfectly.

Are others having problems with MSNStockQuotes Excel Plugin?

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30376

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
yozzdi

Thanks for replying. I did go to that yahoo group, and tried out the
Yahoo Multiple Quotes XLS that you wrote.

I couldn't quite understand it though.

In the MSFT plugin, you can simply get a quote for a stock by typing:
=MSNStockQuote("INTC","Last Price","US").

In the one that you wrote, that uses Yahoo, it looks like you need to
keep 2 mirror image spreadsheets, one to retrieve data and the other o
receive it, and also follow your 8 step instructions as below...

========================
In order to utilize YahooMultipleQuotes which will import current
stock prices into an Excel spreadsheet, do the following.

1. Make sure that you have the YahooMultipleQuotes spreadsheet open
2. Open the spreadsheet to receive the prices
3. Place your cursor in the cell to receive the price
4. Key an '=' in the fild to be updated (don't hit enter)
5. Open the YahooMultipleQuotes spreadsheet
6. Place your cursor in the cell to be sent to the other spreadsheet
(the price cell should be surrounded by a wavy highlighted line)
7. Press Enter
8. The current price should now be in YOUR spreadsheet

=============================

What would be the reason to use Yahoo's service over the MSN Stock
plugin (if the Yahoo one uses 8 steps, and the MSFT uses 1) ?

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30376
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

This is what MY file looks like. The Data sheet is the query and I use
formulas to use the data as desired. You can add sheets and make formulas to
refer to the trade price or I can customize. Use what YOU like. I like this.

Delete rows as desired but Do NOT delete row 5
To Add Symbols, just add as many as desired below last cell in col A
and click Update Quotes. Formulas Added for you
Look at the Data page for details $ 1,300.00 $
42,740.00 $ 41,440.00
Symbol Name Basis Shares Last Trade Value Profit
AKS A K STEEL HLDG CO $ 100.00 100.00 $ 15.42 $
1,542.00 $ 1,442.00
AVT AVNET INC $ 100.00 100.00 $ 25.25 $
2,525.00 $ 2,425.00
AWE 0 $ 100.00 100.00 $ -
- $ (100.00)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"yozzdi" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cswanson

I have gotten the same message recently. Once in March 2006 that I was
able to resolve and a second time starting April 10, 2006, which I have
not been able to resolve. I have tried everything: disabling Norton
Internet Security, reinstalling the add-in, and many other strategies.
I have at times been able to get it to work when I use "Update Quotes"
on a separate file with just one stock lookup. But then that stops
working as well after the first time used.

yozzdi Wrote:
I have been using MSNStockQuotes on a few computers without any problems
for months.

Now (in the last day or so) , when I press "update Quotes" on any of
the computers, I get a "Failed to get requested Data" message. I can
often "trick" it into getting the quotes by deleting a bunch of the
quotes, then choosing Edit-Undo, which then fetches the quotes
properly, but even that fails some of the time (same displayed
message).

This happens even with older copies of my spreadsheet that used to work
perfectly.

Are others having problems with MSNStockQuotes Excel Plugin?

--
cswanson
cswanson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33515
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
yozzdi

MSN Stock Quotes has stopped working on 3 computers that I have. They
were all working fine until yesterday.

I'm wondering if ANYONE can get the MSN Stock Quotes plugin in to work
now ? (i.e. the "update quotes" feature)

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30376
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

As I said, I don't use this but I did just test with a symbol, waited the
required time to get the update, asked for the update and apparently (SAT)
got it along with the pop up (a really good reason to use this). So,my guess
is that it is working properly on my xl2002 with all updates. Did you guys
try my free file at xltraders?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"yozzdi" wrote in
message ...

MSN Stock Quotes has stopped working on 3 computers that I have. They
were all working fine until yesterday.

I'm wondering if ANYONE can get the MSN Stock Quotes plugin in to work
now ? (i.e. the "update quotes" feature)

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cswanson

After working on the problem many hours, I have come up with a solution
(but one than needs addressing by Microsoft).

The problem seems to lie with the "MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quotes
Add-In."

When an Excel spreadsheet contains the cell reference
=MSNStockQuote("/EURUS","Last Price","US") which is entered using the
"Insert Stock Quotes" button on the toolbar or under "Tools", the
result is "N/A".

Then, when the "Update Quotes" button is activated, the following error
message appears: "Failed to get requested data."

In my workbook containing many worksheets, if this MSNStockQuote
referencing "/EURUS" (the current EURO to DOLLAR currency exchange
rate) appears in any worksheet whatsoever, then the error message
"Failed to get requested data" is generated.

After I removed all such formulas containing "/EURUS", my worksheet
updated flawlessly.

I have been using this formula for years(=MSNStockQuote("/EURUS","Last
Price","US") and it has always worked. It seems to have stopped working
on or about 4/10/2006.

I hope that Microsoft will promptly fix this problem which seems to be
located on the MSN MoneyCentral website or in the Add-In itself.

--
cswanson
cswanson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33515
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cswanson

I just tried the MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quote Add-In and found that the
problem has been fixed with the EURO to DOLLAR exchange rate /EURUS.

Since I don't believe that the problem fixed itself, I have to believe
that someone at Microsoft is reading this forum or that my email to
EXCEL SUPPORT had some effect.

I've had a similar problem before (in early March 06, for example) and
someone reported a problem in January 06 (when I was out of town and
not using the spreadsheet) so it well may crop up again in the future.

--
cswanson
cswanson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33515
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
yozzdi

Thanks for your reports cswanson.

I too was using /EURUS, and the problem went away about a week ago.

Perhaps someone at MSFT read your post!

FWIW, it would be great if someone (like MSFT) made a real-time quote
add-in for Excel, that also allowed historical data quotes. I'd pay a
monthly fee for that.

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30376
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
yozzdi

Thanks again,

I've visited that group, and downloaded about 5 XLS. So far, nothing's
worked for me.

This is probably because I haven't been able to find any instructions,
just some amazing XLS that someone has made - but the title of the file
is all the documentation that you get.

For most of them, I type in a different stock symbol, press UPDATE (or
whatever they've got), and typically I get a VBA run-time error, or
some other failure message about how things are now screwed up in the
spreadsheet.

Is it supposed to be obvious to others how to use these XLS, or are
they expected to reverse engineer them without documentation, or what?

--
yozzdi
yozzdi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30376
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532906

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
buylow,sellhigh

You desribe exactly problems i have with instlling new operating system. I
was not having problems preveously. I have reinstalled money 2004 & have same
outcome. I have changed "connection settings" to no avail. Any thoughts?