Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SGT Buckeye

Default Importing data into excel

I am trying to import data from a workbook created by our IS team into
my workbook which calculates the sales bonus of my employees.
Currently, I manually enter their sales numbers. The problem is I am
duplicating efforts because the IS workbook already has the numbers I
need. In fact, it is where I get the numbers to input into my
workbook. Can I set up some kind of lookup function/formula to bring
in the data I need so that I don't have to manually enter it everyday?
Also, you may need to know that when I open the IS workbook, I have to
click on an update button in order to get the latest data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Without knowing how your files are structured it's impossible to say with
certainty, but it's probably something that can be done - if you have an ID
or other unique way to identify each employee, and that ID appears in both
workbooks

"SGT Buckeye" wrote:

I am trying to import data from a workbook created by our IS team into
my workbook which calculates the sales bonus of my employees.
Currently, I manually enter their sales numbers. The problem is I am
duplicating efforts because the IS workbook already has the numbers I
need. In fact, it is where I get the numbers to input into my
workbook. Can I set up some kind of lookup function/formula to bring
in the data I need so that I don't have to manually enter it everyday?
Also, you may need to know that when I open the IS workbook, I have to
click on an update button in order to get the latest data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SGT Buckeye

Thanks for the response. Each employee is identified by a unique
username. This username is not used my workbood but i can easily add a
column that holds each employee's username. Any ideas at all would be
helpful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Assuming the data you have imported is in Sheet2, and you have the
unique usernames in column A with the numbers you need in column D (for
example) and there are 100 rows of employee details, and that in your
worksheet (Sheet1) you have a list of your employees' usernames in
column A with headers in row 1, then in cell B2 of Sheet1 you can enter
this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A$2:D$101,4,0)

This will try to find an exact match between A2 in your sheet and
column A of Sheet2 - if there is an exact match then it will return the
corresponding value from the 4th column (i.e. column D) of Sheet2. The
formula can be copied down for as many employees as you have in column
A.

Hope this helps.

Pete