Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rollthbns

Default Drop Down List Error

I am trying to create a drop down list with a named range from an external
workbook. The directions in help work fine up until defining the named range
in validation under the data menu. It then tells me I cant use an external
workbook. I think I followed the directions exactly as outlined in the Help
area. Anyone have an idea what might be the problem? Thanks!
--
fate is just the weight of circumstances
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

It is the way Excel works, Data Validation cannot refer to another workbook,
another worksheet yes, but not workbook.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"rollthbns" wrote in message
I am trying to create a drop down list with a named range from an external
workbook. The directions in help work fine up until defining the named

range
in validation under the data menu. It then tells me I cant use an

external
workbook. I think I followed the directions exactly as outlined in the

Help
area. Anyone have an idea what might be the problem? Thanks!
--
fate is just the weight of circumstances

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

I haven't tried data validation using a named range from another workbook,
but this site discusses it:

The site helped me while I was trying to use a named range from another
worksheet.

--
Kevin Vaughn