Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kohai

Default Address for Linked Files in Formula

Hi,

I don't know if this is an excel issue or a network issue. With many of our
excel files that have links to other excel files across a network drive,
formulas within cells will point to the file location with the server name
and not the drive letter.

ie - U:\ABC\
shows up as
\\NYCFILE01\ESS\

I know that different people may have the same server mapped to diferent
drives, but in our case that is not the setup. What is happening is that if
file A has links to File B & C and all 3 are open, file A is not recognizing
that B & C are open to read the most recent data.

However, if the server name is replaced with the drive letter, all is ok.
Does anyone know how I can change this setting in Excel or on the system?
It's not only annoying, but troublesome as well.

Thank you,

kohai
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JR

You can try this. Go to "Tools", "Options" and look on the "Calculation"
tab. Make sure the boxes are checked beside "Update remote references" and
"Save external link values"