Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TimRTi

Default How to enter a range address using data elsewhere on the sheet?

I want to enter cell addresses and range addresses in formulas (functions)
such as vlookup using row and column numbers that are calculated elsewhere on
the spreadsheet. How do I write the range formula in a manner that takes its
cell address parameters from those other cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kassie

Precede the cell address with INDIRECT, such as INDIRECT(A1) will result in
the formula evaluating to say G15, if A1 contains text "G15"

"TimRTi" wrote:

I want to enter cell addresses and range addresses in formulas (functions)
such as vlookup using row and column numbers that are calculated elsewhere on
the spreadsheet. How do I write the range formula in a manner that takes its
cell address parameters from those other cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TimRTi

Kassie,
This looks to be the Rosetta Stone for me. Thanks. I still need to do some
experimenting with it, but a quick check says it works.

"TimRTi" wrote:

I want to enter cell addresses and range addresses in formulas (functions)
such as vlookup using row and column numbers that are calculated elsewhere on
the spreadsheet. How do I write the range formula in a manner that takes its
cell address parameters from those other cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

If you can avoid indirect by for instance using index (index can use other
cells as row and column numbers) than you should do that. indirect is a
volatile function so it slows down a workbook since they recalculate where
others don't

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions