Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin O

Default How do I optimaly distibute a number (whole values) into a range

I have a number of staff (say 25) that I want to optimally distibute amongst
14 workstations. Each workstation will have a set percentage of the overall
workload therefor each workstations set workload might range from 1.3% to
14.8% for example. I can have between 0 to 4 people at any station depending
on work load.

How can I OPTIMALLY distribute ALL 25 of my staff (whole numbers only) into
these workstations and steer clear of decimalizing. I cannot place 2.23
workers in a work station
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Say the 14 machines were represented by 14 columns. Sequentially starti
adding staff to the columns using the following strategy:

Starting with the person generating the greatest load, add the people to the
machine having the least current load. Each of the first 14 people will get
a machine to themselves, the 15th person gets assigned to the machine least
loaded, and so on.
--
Gary's Student