Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jerome

Default sum sub levels.

Hi there,

My name is Jerome. I would appreciate your help with the following problem.
I have an excel sheet whcih contains data displayed in various levels. There
are 11 levels in total. There are over 5000 rows. However each level has
different categories. I have to add the values of level 2 in level 1 and all
the values of level 3 into 2 and so forth. See tteh format below.

You'll notice that I have to add (PAYMENTS, TRANSFERS AND SUBSIDIES,
PAYMENTS FOR CAPITAL ASSETS - which are in level 2 ) in level 1 (PAYMENTS)

I should do the same for (TAX RECEIPTS, SALES GOODS & SERV NON CAP ASS,
TRANSFERS RECEIVED, FINES, PENALTIES AND FORFEITS, INTEREST, DIVIDEND, RENT
ON LAND, SALES OF CAPITAL ASSETS) and add it in level 1 (RECEIPTS)

LEVEL CODE AMOUNT 1 2
1 96623 PAYMENTS
2 982623 PAYMENTS
2 988623 TRANSFERS AND SUBSIDIES
2 996623 PAYMENTS FOR CAPITAL ASSETS
1 6318623 DIRECT EXCHEQUER PAYMENTS
2 6319623 DIRECT EXCHEQUER PAYMENTS
1 1623 RECEIPTS
2 2623 TAX RECEIPTS
2 3623 SALES GOODS & SERV NON CAP ASS
2 40623 TRANSFERS RECEIVED:
2 65623 FINES, PENALTIES AND FORFEITS
2 72623 INTEREST, DIVIDEND, RENT ON LAND
2 102623 SALES OF CAPITAL ASSETS

I have to do this for the entire worksheet. Could you please advise me how I
should go about this.

Thank you very much!:O)

Best regards,

Jerome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Hi Jerome,
Was wondering why there really wasn't any data, then it occurred to me
that this must be a class work problem. Take a look at Data, Subtotals
that is from the menus.
You can probably find a video tutorial at
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm
---
HTH,

"Jerome" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jerome

Good morning David,

Thank you for your response. I'm afraid that won't work with my problem. I
need something that calculates the sum for a particular level based on the
amounts on the level immediately below it. However there are many
descriptions or categories for a particular level ( each one has to be
calculated individually)

I need to add all the amounts (that column is
not shown in my request) in each level (except level 1 of course) and
place the total in the level immediately above it.

Col 1 as Lvl (has levels 1 - 11)
Col 2 as "Code" (Unique values)
Col 3 as "Amount" (values will be entered in here)
Col 4 as "Total" (This is where the formula will be entered)

There are over 5000 rows.
lvl code desc total amount 1 2 3 4
1 6333623 revenue fund receipts revenue fund receipts
2 6338623 debt portfolio debt portfolio
3 6351623 dbl pmt r150 settlemnt 21/7/00 dbl pmt r150 settlemnt 21/7/00
3 6351623 dbl pmt r150 settlemnt 21/7/00 dbl pmt r150 settlemnt 21/7/00
3 6350623 prem on debt protfolio restruct prem on debt protfolio restruct
3 6350623 prem on debt protfolio restruct prem on debt protfolio restruct
3 6349623 premium on issuance of bonds premium on issuance of bonds
3 6349623 premium on issuance of bonds premium on issuance of bonds
3 6348623 profit on conv of foreign loans profit on conv of foreign loans
3 6348623 profit on conv of foreign loans profit on conv of foreign loans
2 6335623 fines, penalties and forfeits fines, penalties and forfeits
3 6339623 penalties penalties
4 6341623 amnesty unit amnesty unit
4 6341623 amnesty unit amnesty unit
4 6340623 retail bonds retail bonds
4 6340623 retail bonds retail bonds

Yes, i want to add the levles as two seperate numbers, however there are
many different categories of levels for instance level 1 (Revenue) and level
1 (Direct Payments) etc ... each with their own sublevels. The sheet is
structured so that the sublevels (which need to be added for the level above
it) are immediately below the level above it.

I sincerely hope this explains it more clearly

"Jerome" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Hi Jerome,
You would need to write a macro.
Do you only have Level 1 and Level 2

You would have to generate formulas where you have 1 in column A
with a macro if that is the case. The numbers are just random constants for test.

=SUBTOTAL9,D2:D14)
=SUBTOTAL(9,D3:D5)
8
37