Crowraine

Default How do I subtract with text valued number instead of an actual num

Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered' cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I type in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold' column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me through
it once.
Frank Kabel

Hi
have you tried my suggestion and if yes what exactly does not work for you

P.S.: always better to stay in the original thread for follow-ups :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Crowraine" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered' cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I type
in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In
Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold' column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me
through
it once.

Crowraine

I didn't know to stay in the same thread. I tried it but I am having issues
figuring it out. I have been figuring out these formulas as I go. So I don't
know what all the parts of that formula are for. Thank you for letting me
know about the thread.

Crowraine

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

Dave R.

The confusion on my part was that you said you wanted 10-6161 to "be
represented by 4".

It sounds like you want to count all the 10-6161 in column B and subtract
that number from the "inventory ordered" amount.

You can use a formula like

=COUNTIF(B:B,"10-6161") to count up the 10-6161s in B. You can also
reference the cell that contains the part number like =COUNTIF(B:B,$A1).

If those do what you want, just include the COUNTIF... part in the formula
that you want to show your inventory (subtracting it from the number you
have ordered. if it's in the same row it should be easy).

"Crowraine" wrote in message
Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered'

cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I

type
in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In

Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold'

column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me

through
it once.

Crowraine

I got the reference part but it still is not answering how I subtract. I want
to subtract 'Inventory Sold' from 'Inventory Ordered' and have the results
show in 'Inventory in Stock'

"Crowraine" wrote in message
[...]

Crowraine

This is the formula I have.

=SUM(InventoryOrdered!E3,InventorySold!B:B)*COUNT( InventorySold!B:B,10-87400)

The count works by itself. But I can not get the count part to subtract from
the sum part. or heck, even add it at this point. At least then I would be
closer.

"Crowraine" wrote in message
Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered'

cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I

type
in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In
Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold'

column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me
through
it once.

Crowraine

New formula

=SUM(InventoryOrdered!E3,COUNT(InventorySold!B:B,1 0-87400))
Now how do I get it to subtract COUNT from Sum?

"Crowraine" wrote in message
Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered'

cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I

type
in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In
Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold'

column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me
through
it once.

Crowraine

HOLY SMOKES I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!! NEW FORMULA IS
=SUM(InventoryOrdered!E3,-COUNT(InventorySold!B:B,10-87400))

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

"Crowraine" wrote in message
Ok, let me try this again.
I have 4 lipsticks which are represented in sheet 'Inventory Ordered'
cell
E3. I want those lipstick to be represented by 10-6161. Everytime I
type
in
10-6161 in sheet 'Inventory Sold' column B I want it to subtract from
'Inventory Ordered' cell E3 and the results to show in 'Inventory In
Stock'
cell D3.

Layout;
'Inventory Ordered' Cell E3 minus by part number 'Inventory Sold'
column B
to = in 'Inventory In Stock' D3

If I can't work it out, would someone also be kind enough to walk me
through
it once.

Dave R.

I don't think that's working..

First, the COUNT function returns counts of numbers, e.g. if you had
66,342,3542 in A1:A3, COUNT(A1:A3) would return 3. The ",10-87400" part
isn't doing anything useful -- the formula is subtracting 87400 from 10 and
saying "yes, -87390 is a number" and returning a 1. If you tested the
formula by entering 10-87400 in InventorySold!B? only once, you would think
it's working. If you had entered it more than once you would see that it is
not.

Based on what it looks like you're trying to do, you can try this formula;

=InventoryOrdered!E3-COUNTIF(InventorySold!B:B,"10-87400")

"Dave R." wrote:

[...]

Crowraine

You were so right. I was testing it out last night and it wasn't coming out
right. I was going to come back today and do another post asking more
questions. LOL You were way ahead of me. Thank you so much with the
consistent help. Is there a place I can go for help on writing formulas other
than the help feature. Something like Excel for Dummies, (if that actually
exists)?

God Bless,
Harley

"Dave R." wrote:

[...]

Dave R.

I think this is the best place to come for help in writing formulas. Also,
reading this group, and helping others write formulas is great practice and
exercise- and some would even think it's fun..

I think there is "Excel for Dummies" but unless you can get a computer
version which is easily searchable, you'll have more luck searching through
newsgroups or on the web.

Here are some sites which are commonly provided to people looking for Excel
help around he

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

http://www.cpearson.com/excel.htm

(this one is about sumproduct, which has very many applications).

Glad to help.