Danny J

Default What defines number or text

Hi folks,

I have the following £50...it is defined as a number without me doing
anything. I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything. I
have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes text,
similarly 10,000. Now I assume that the £50 is recognised as a number
because of my windows settings...but the rest? Trying to get the $50
recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50. I would love to know what
deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
without having to delete the figures.

Danny

JulieD

Hi Danny

basically if you enter a number without any formatting Excel will treat it
as a number - if you apply "formatting" (e.g. £ or $ or thousand separators
(,) ) then, as you have found, depending on your windows settings excel will
decide how to treat it. The best advice when entering numbers is that other
than the % enter the number by itself (e.g. 50) and use the formatting
options to give it what it needs.

To switch from text to numbers, one method is to select a blank, unused,
unformatted cell and choose copy then select your "text" and choose edit /
paste special - ADD.

hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"Danny J" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I have the following £50...it is defined as a number without me doing
anything. I have $50 ...it is defined as text without me doing anything.
have 10% sometimes (depending on the pc) it is a number and sometimes
text,
similarly 10,000. Now I assume that the £50 is recognised as a number
because of my windows settings...but the rest? Trying to get the $50
recognised as currency is possible....if I delete the original $50, format
the cell as currency, and then re-enter the 50. I would love to know what
deifnes the figure as text or number, and how I can move between the two
without having to delete the figures.

Danny

RagDyer

Selet one of these cells and look in the formula bar.
If you see *only* a number, you know that the cell is a *true* number.
If you see any currency symbol, the cell is text.

You are correct in assuming that your settings will denote whether or not
the entry is either text or numerical, really depending on *how* you entered
the data.

If you *PRE*format a cell as currency and choose any currency symbol, that
cell will always be a number.

With my US settings, data entered
<Alt+0036, then 50 ... yields a number - $50
<Alt+0163, then 50 ... yields a text display - £50

Your settings should return the opposite.

As far as moving between the 2, you could try adjusting the "Style" setting
on you sheet, making the currency symbol on you default toolbar display any
currency sign that you choose.
<Format <Style,
And expand the "StyleName" box, and select "currency".
Click on "Modify", and you'll bring up the regular format window, where you
can choose the US $ sign, then <OK <OK.

Now, when you enter a number and click on the currency sign on the toolbar,
you should get the US$, which should remain a *true* number.
--

HTH,

RD