Keithg

Default How do I get the nth root of a number?

I need to calculate the 9th root of a number. If I go the route of log()/9,
there is no function for antilog. Anybody help?
Tim C

=A1^(1/9)

Tim C

"Keithg" wrote in message
I need to calculate the 9th root of a number. If I go the route of log()/9,
there is no function for antilog. Anybody help?

Gord Dibben

Try this instead

=number^(1/n)

Or =cellref^(1/n)

You could alo use the POWER function

=POWER(8,1/3) returns 2

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:07:02 -0800, Keithg
wrote:

I need to calculate the 9th root of a number. If I go the route of log()/9,
there is no function for antilog. Anybody help?

Bernard V Liengme

You have good answers to your questions but I think you should know that
there is an antilog.

The log (base 10 for simplicity) function is defined thus: IF X = 10^Y then
LOG(X)=Y
Try it with 100. Since 100=10^2 we write LOG(100)=2

So if we know that Y is the LOG of X, we find X using 10^Y
What is the antilog of 2? Clearly it is 10^2 or 100

In brief ANTILOG(Y) is the same as 10^Y

Sorry for the lecture but I retired recently and miss the classroom!

best wishes
Bernard