Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Superchikn

Default Calculating cells based on dates

I have 2 columns: one that has dates ranging from 10/03/03 through 12/31/05.
The second has money deposited on the previous columns date. I can not seem
to find the right 'SUMIF' syntax to give me a total of money deposited for a
certain date range. for example how much money deposited in March 2004.

Any help would be greatl appreciated.

- Superchikn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

=sumproduct(--(text(a1:a10,"yyyymm")="200403"),(b1:b10))

Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

=sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's.

Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail he

And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

======
You may want to look into using data|pivottable. You can group by the date
field and not have to use separate formulas for each month/year.

--

Dave Peterson