Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hirendra7158

Default please help me mark their presence.

I mark my students' presence as a p in date column.
at teh end of teh term I need to know how many classes a student has
attended.
meaning---- how to total all the p s in previous columns.
Thanks in advance.

--
hirendra7158
hirendra7158's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32399

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Something like:

=COUNTIF(range,"=p")

where range is the range of cells where the student's attendance is
recorded. Copy this down for each student in your register.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cutter

It sounds like you just need the COUNTIF() function

Try this:

=COUNTIF(B2:Z2,"p")

This will give you the number of times "p" appears on row 2 from Col B
to Col Z (adjust the ranges as fits your situation). Then copy the
formula down as far as you need.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joseph in Atlanta

Hi there Hirendra7158 :

You COULD use the COUNTIF() function, to look for "P" in your spreadsheet
using the function =COUNTIF(G18:Z18,"P"),
( if your table had one row per student's name, with cells from col G to Z)

I think you can do BETTER than that however...
How about allowing SEVERAL different codes in the same day's cell.
For instance:
P = Present
H = Handed in Homework
T = Tardy / Late
D = Dicipline / Disruptive
G = Good / Special Behavior
R = Reminder, note to follow up with student
X = Earned eXtra credit that day

Having multiple letters per cell will confuse the simplistic COUNT() function
above, but you can use =COUNT(FIND("P",UPPER(G20:Z20))) as an array
function to find "P" values, with other letters mexed in... You can also have
another =COUNT(FIND("H",UPPER(G20:P20))) to count homework assignments
given by each student. (along with the other items above)

Now your spreadsheet can be much more descriptive & usefull for tracking
more than just attendance. You can jot down notes on paper through the day,
which enter into your spreadsheet after class, and keep a better record/log
of the class - so you don't forget "What day did THIS happen" as much.
You can ALSO put in extra COMMENTS as needed, by either pressing the
yellow "comment" button on the menu bar, or using Alt_I+M from keyboard.

I would also suggest using "conditional formatting" to show orange/red color
for students who are behind on homework, or missing too many classes.
Surely you are ALREADY using Excel to calculate grades and such

Have you set up your spreadsheet to use 'Freeze Panes', so that you can scroll
way over, to new dates, but still keep headings and student names visible?
if not, set cursor in 1st scrollable cell & pick Window--Freeze

Is your file using different work-sheets for each class period?
Do you have cells to enter points-possible values for each
assignment/quiz/test?

I hope these suggestions help.
Joseph