Woodkat

Default Show only latest Date of Service?

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?
Peo Sjoblom

If you sort descending on dates (real numeric dates) it will come up first,
if you meant you want a formula to retrun the latest date

=INDEX(A2:A100,MATCH(MAX(B2:B100),B2:B100,0))

will give the customer with the latest date

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Woodkat" wrote:

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

Woodkat

I am looking for the latest date of service for EACH customer. The sort
feature does not work because it may return multiple dates of service for
client A before listing the latest date of service for client B.

"Woodkat" wrote:

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

CLR

You can set up your name and date list as a VLOOKUP table, and sort it
decending on the date column, then assuming your list was in A and B, you
could type a name in C1 and put this in D1

=VLOOKUP(C1,NameDateRange,2,FALSE)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Woodkat" wrote in message
Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column

B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:23:01 -0800, "Woodkat"
wrote:

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

Two methods.

1. Use a Pivot table. Drag the Customers to the ROW; drag the dates of
service to the DATA area and select MAX for the function (right click on the
Data field, select Field Settings, and then MAX).

2. a. Data/Sort: First by Column A (ascending) and then by Column B.

Then

b. Data/Subtotals: For each change in Customers, use the MAX function.

c. In the extreme left margin, you will see some very small numbers 1, 2 and
3. If you click on the 2, this should hide all except the subtotals.

--ron

Frank Kabel

Hi
then try using a pivot table for this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Woodkat" wrote:

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of

service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

Woodkat

Ron as a follow-up:

I have never used a pivot table so I am trying suggestion #2 first:

I am able to do the data sort, but am not sure how to do the €śFor each
change in Customers, use the MAX function". How would I dinstinguish the
change in customer? Could you give me an example formula? Thanks

wrote:

Each customer (column A) on my list has multiple dates of service(column B).
How can I sort to only show the most recent date of service?

Two methods.

1. Use a Pivot table. Drag the Customers to the ROW; drag the dates of
service to the DATA area and select MAX for the function (right click on the
Data field, select Field Settings, and then MAX).

2. a. Data/Sort: First by Column A (ascending) and then by Column B.

Then

b. Data/Subtotals: For each change in Customers, use the MAX function.

c. In the extreme left margin, you will see some very small numbers 1, 2 and
3. If you click on the 2, this should hide all except the subtotals.

--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:09:02 -0800, "Woodkat"
wrote:

I have never used a pivot table so I am trying suggestion #2 first:

I am able to do the data sort, but am not sure how to do the “For each
change in Customers, use the MAX function". How would I dinstinguish the
change in customer? Could you give me an example formula? Thanks

"Data/Subtotals" as I wrote in my previous post is a shortcut notation. It
means to select the Data menu from the top line in Excel; and then select
Subtotals from the List that drops down (just as you did in order to get to the
Sort option).

Once you do that, a dialog box will open with the options I mentioned.

--ron