Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Frick

Default Help with a Lookup Formula

I am not sure if it shoudl be a Vlookup or Hlookup formula and I am not sure
how to procede.

I have a 4 x 4 table that looks like this from A1:D4

USD EUR GBP
USD 1.0 1.19 1.73
EUR 0.83 1.0 1.45
GBP 0.57 0.68 1.0

In cell G1 I have a cell where I enter USD or EUR or GBP

In cell F12 I have a cell where I enter USD or EUR or GBP

In cell G12 I enter a number.

I need a formula for cell H12 that will multiply the cell in G12 times the
correct cell in the pivot table based on G1 and F12.

For example if G1=USD and F12=USD then G12 should be multiplied times B2.

what I am trying to do is create a simple report that calculates an expense
item in one currency to a report base currency.

Thanks for any help provided.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

This formula:

=INDEX(B2:D4,MATCH(F11,A2:A4,0),MATCH(G1,B1:D1,0)) *G11

may be correct, or it's possible F11 and G1 need to be switched. Couldn't
tell from data given.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"Frick" wrote:

I am not sure if it shoudl be a Vlookup or Hlookup formula and I am not sure
how to procede.

I have a 4 x 4 table that looks like this from A1:D4

USD EUR GBP
USD 1.0 1.19 1.73
EUR 0.83 1.0 1.45
GBP 0.57 0.68 1.0

In cell G1 I have a cell where I enter USD or EUR or GBP

In cell F12 I have a cell where I enter USD or EUR or GBP

In cell G12 I enter a number.

I need a formula for cell H12 that will multiply the cell in G12 times the
correct cell in the pivot table based on G1 and F12.

For example if G1=USD and F12=USD then G12 should be multiplied times B2.

what I am trying to do is create a simple report that calculates an expense
item in one currency to a report base currency.

Thanks for any help provided.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Use MATCH( ) with the value in G1 to find the relative position in the
column containing USD, EUR, GBP, then use INDEX around that with your
F12 value to tell you how far over to go to get the value you need.
Examples can be found in Excel's Help.

Hope this helps.

Pete