AndrewB

Default select from a fragmented list

how to I limit the data in a drop down list?
ie.
column A has a list of site names, interspersed with month names.
eg. a1 = "Agnew Bros", a2= "Jan", a3="Feb",a4= "Opunake", etc

I've been using a data validation list to pick from, but get all the month
names listed in the pick list.

How do list only the site names in the pick list?
Frank Kabel

Hi
i would create a separate list. e.g. enter the following in B1
=OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*2,0)
and copy this down
Now use column B as source for your data validation list

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"AndrewB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
how to I limit the data in a drop down list?
ie.
column A has a list of site names, interspersed with month names.
eg. a1 = "Agnew Bros", a2= "Jan", a3="Feb",a4= "Opunake", etc

I've been using a data validation list to pick from, but get all the

month
names listed in the pick list.

How do list only the site names in the pick list?

Gord Dibben

Alternative......if not too many!

Type the site names into the List dialog in DV.

Agnew Bros,Opunake, etc.

Note the commas must be entered.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:05:07 +0100, "Frank Kabel"
wrote:

Hi
i would create a separate list. e.g. enter the following in B1
=OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*2,0)
and copy this down
Now use column B as source for your data validation list

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"AndrewB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
how to I limit the data in a drop down list?
ie.
column A has a list of site names, interspersed with month names.
eg. a1 = "Agnew Bros", a2= "Jan", a3="Feb",a4= "Opunake", etc

I've been using a data validation list to pick from, but get all the

month
names listed in the pick list.

How do list only the site names in the pick list?

AndrewB

Hi Frank,
Thanks, but it didn't quite work out.
There are normally 15 rows between each site name. ie sites names are found
in rows 1,17,33,49,63... and the list is frequently extended.

Is there a way to extract the site names only to a new, contiguous, list?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
i would create a separate list. e.g. enter the following in B1
=OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*2,0)
and copy this down
Now use column B as source for your data validation list

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"AndrewB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
how to I limit the data in a drop down list?
ie.
column A has a list of site names, interspersed with month names.
eg. a1 = "Agnew Bros", a2= "Jan", a3="Feb",a4= "Opunake", etc

I've been using a data validation list to pick from, but get all the

month
names listed in the pick list.

How do list only the site names in the pick list?

Frank Kabel

Hi
if it is always 15 rows in between try:
=OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*16,0)
in a helper column

--

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

AndrewB

Spot On! thanks...
The guy who makes the list always has a 15 rows gap.

I just came up with an alternative in macro form while I was racking by
brain (I'm not the tidiest of programmers):

i = 1
For j = 1 To 2000
k = Range("A" & j).Value
Select Case k
Case "", "Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", _
"Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"
i = i
Case Else
Range("K" & i) = k
i = i + 1