Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Matilda

Default Pick from a drop-down list

I have a protected form to be filled out. In one column I have a drop-down
list with 25 things in it to choose from. In adjacent column is dollar
amount to be added. One of these 25 things when I choose it, I want the
adjacent cell to be protected so it can't be filled in. I have looked in the
"if" function, but can't figure out how to do this. Does anyone have any
ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I'd build a table on another worksheet that had the 25 items in A1:A25 and the
associated amount in B1:B25.

I'd use data|validation to show that list of 25 items.

And then I'd use =vlookup() to return the amount.

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions for you:
and

--

Dave Peterson