Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karaoke2lady

Default How to Create VLookup for a range of specified grades?

cell A2 contains text: Grade. Cells A2:B6 contain 0 to 49= F, 50 to 59= D, 60
to 74= C, 75 to 89= B, 90 to 100=A.Each letter grade should be matched up
with the lowest score possible for that grade. Using the insert,function,
Vlookup table I can not get what to put in each of the 4 categories except
for False. Please Help! Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

See if this works for you:

On a separate sheet, build this table:
0 F
50 D
60 C
75 B
90 A
(I'll assume that table is in cells A1:B5 on Sheet2)

Then, for a number grade in A2 on Sheet1:
B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,TRUE)

Is that something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Karaoke2lady" wrote:

cell A2 contains text: Grade. Cells A2:B6 contain 0 to 49= F, 50 to 59= D, 60
to 74= C, 75 to 89= B, 90 to 100=A.Each letter grade should be matched up
with the lowest score possible for that grade. Using the insert,function,
Vlookup table I can not get what to put in each of the 4 categories except
for False. Please Help! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Assume the numeric values are in A2:A60 and the grade letters in B2:B6,
create a table like this

0 F
50 D
60 C
75 B
90 A

assume you put the score in C2 then use either

=VLOOKUP(C2,A2:B6,2)

or

=LOOKUP(C2,A2:A6,B2:B6)

If you want to skip the table altogether

=VLOOKUP(C2,{0,"F";50,"D";60,"C";75,"B";90,"A"},2)

or

=LOOKUP(C2,{0;50;60;75;90},{"F";"D";"C";"B";"A"})

you might want to add something in case C2 is empty

=IF(C2="","",VLOOKUP(C2,A2:B6,2))

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

Portland, Oregon

"Karaoke2lady" wrote in message
cell A2 contains text: Grade. Cells A2:B6 contain 0 to 49= F, 50 to 59= D,
60
to 74= C, 75 to 89= B, 90 to 100=A.Each letter grade should be matched up
with the lowest score possible for that grade. Using the insert,function,
Vlookup table I can not get what to put in each of the 4 categories except
for False. Please Help! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

ViewPage Break Preview

For individual manually inserted page breaks:
Drag them off the page

To clear ALL manually inserted page breaks:
Right-click in any cell and select: Reset all page breaks

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Karaoke2lady" wrote:

cell A2 contains text: Grade. Cells A2:B6 contain 0 to 49= F, 50 to 59= D, 60
to 74= C, 75 to 89= B, 90 to 100=A.Each letter grade should be matched up
with the lowest score possible for that grade. Using the insert,function,
Vlookup table I can not get what to put in each of the 4 categories except
for False. Please Help! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Sorry, I have no idea how that post ended up in this thread.

I'm guessing it's a hardware problem:
A loose nut in front of my keyboard!

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Karaoke2lady" wrote:

cell A2 contains text: Grade. Cells A2:B6 contain 0 to 49= F, 50 to 59= D, 60
to 74= C, 75 to 89= B, 90 to 100=A.Each letter grade should be matched up
with the lowest score possible for that grade. Using the insert,function,
Vlookup table I can not get what to put in each of the 4 categories except
for False. Please Help! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

LOL!